Cant access Shares?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mr.Cheeks, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

yes, everything that was shared on the machine.
    [​IMG]

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Is the user account "Cheeks" supposed to have share permissions on \\MicroTronic\e ?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Is your network a workgroup or domain?

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

What operating system is running on microtronic?

5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Change the "Share Name" from "E$" to "E" by deleting the '$'.

6. Mr.Cheeks

"Cheeks" is an admin account on the Microtronic pc, i have not set share permissions, i have left them as default.

Workgroup

XP SP2

Will do, when i go home...

Cheers..

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would set the share permission to full control for the sake of housekeeping. Permissions get really messy if you combine share permissions with NTFS permissions. :blink

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. mcshap

mcshap Bit Poster

HI
    Just brainstorming so be kind if doesnt work, check simple file sharing and ensure its on? (you dont mention if you are in a workgroup or domain).

Also are you trying to get to the \\microtonic\e$ ? This is an admin share so as long as the account you are trying to access it with is a member of the administrators group of the destination machine you should be ok.

On the machine where the data is, try going to \\localhost\e$ with an admin account. Does it work correctly? Is the network connectivity between the computers ok?

You could also try this, create a new share called data. For share permissions Give full access to the authenticated users or everyone group. Then on security (ntfs) you limit it to only the account you want to access with it.

Another thing, have you denied any permissions for your account or the groups your account is in? Deny overwrites allow, therefore doublecheck that too.

Also, have you played with the local group policy?

Also, have you tried logging in and out again since you reset the admin password.

If this doesnt help, let us know if you are in a domain, workgroup, what accounts you have on the domain and machine (ie local admins).

Certifications: MCSE , MCITP, MCT, CTT+, VCP
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Will do when I get home...

Workgroup

Account im using to get to the share is an admin account

Try when i get home.
    Network connectivity is fine...

I'll try that

Did not set no deny permissions on non of the accounts.

Yes, I originally disabled all accounts except for Cheeks, then had this problem, i have now re-enabled the accounts.

Yes - restarted the machine. Logs into cheeks account by default automatically.

In a workgroup.

Cheers...

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

guys i hope what im about to say makes sense but like i said this is what has happen:

the administrative rights have been lost... also the right to access the folders and files over the network (not locally - he can do that you see) has also been lost!:blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. Mr.Cheeks

im going to try some of the comments and if i still cant do it, i'll back my data up and format the machine and do a clean install with disk spanking... if i get stuck with my spanking, expect a call for me... :biggrin

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I'm a little late to this but I would have suggested taking a look at Services and see if there are any that are not starting that should be.

I got cute on my laptop and tried making my wireless connections service run under a non-system account. The next thing I knew the Network Connections Wizard and all the lan and dial-up connections were gone. My connections still worked, but there was no way to access them or modify them.

Disabling the Administrator account just might have a similar effect with some of the file sharing services and permissions, and those might need to be modified so that they will start automatically again as they might be listed as disabled after disabling the Administrator account.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Ah? Even in a workgroup, it should display a menu on start up of all the users and the fact that it boots to the desktop would suggest that the account does not have a password.

Si

14. Mr.Cheeks

Tried that, had a message about serive needed to be restarted and will happen when i reboot the machine. So i did, and guess what? It never worked...

Still would not connect

Not sure which services should and should not be started...

none of the accounts have any passwords associated with it, however, the IUSR and IWAM account did have it originally as these were created with i was playing around with a FTP server, but now i removed the passwords and closed access to the server.

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I was trying to RDP in to a users machine and could not work out why it wouldn't work. I eventually discovered that although the account i was logging in was an admin account it didn't have a password and therefore would not let me in. I only received the usual (is there more than one error for RDP :biggrin ) to say the remote computer could be busy....

Si

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Weird, you usually get an ‘account restriction’ error when there is a blank password :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Reading through the thread I’ll throw in a few more suggestions. I would reset the local group policy as you have said you have been changing some of the settings. I would also add the ‘everyone’ group to the NTFS permissions and grant them full access. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would look for services related to file sharing, network access, and permissions. I would check out all those related services and their dependencies as just one dependency not starting could keep something from working as many of the services are interrelated.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. Mr.Cheeks

Done a System Restore back to last week...

20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

and can you access the files?

Si