Can't access bios after clearing Cmos??!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pengie, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Before the fire. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hmmm.:hhhmmm

I was just asking because as the pc is 10 years old and set up for his mother, the chances are likely that the bios battery hasn't ever been changed and depending on the last time it was running is now dead.

I had a problem like this recently. The pc is only a few years old but the old guy using it hadn't used it for quite a while as he was on holiday. He came back and it wouldn't get past the post as it had lost the bios settings (dead battery). When he set the bios settings properly it would then boot as normal but then after a couple of days not using the pc the settings would be lost again. I replaced the battery and the problem is gone.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good point Nugg! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah come across a number of dead mobo batteries before, but it's never stopped the PC from posting, it's either lost it's settings continually or complains about it with an error each time it's switched on.

Can't hurt to try replacing it though. If it's he's lucky it will be a small silver battery that are easy to replace. As I said way back near the start though it also could be a rechargable which is soldered onto the main board.

In conclusion, buy a new PC. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada