Cannot update BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boycie, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

In a last attempt to see if my old server is salvageable, i cleared the CMOS and want to re-load the BIOS flash.
    I have located the BIOS firmware from the Gigabyte website, but it complains that the file size is incorrect. I have tried all three availible, but it complains of the same problem on all three.
    Any ideas before i get a new mobo?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah have you made sure you got the right bios updating software, the correct mobo model AND revision number? Also make sure they the bios you going to update is newer than the one onboard...

Whats the exact prob here si?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, if you already have the latest firmware you might not be able to flash the BIOS as you are not ‘upgrading’ :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

This is the ongoing <sudden death> of my test server.
    I moved the machine (no knocks and smooth journey) but only booted once after that! :blink

You name it, ive tried it. I have a spare ATX mobo somewhere so i am going to try that tommorow. Please suggest things, but i get the feeling the mobo has gone- it randomly forgets about all IDE devices. :twisted:

Si

5. Sparky

One of those crazy problems that has no logic to it whatsoever!

Might be worth running the server on one IDE device (the master HD) and see if that helps, perhaps one device is causing a problem and is resulting in the Server not to POST correctly. A long shot but worth a punt! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

RAM... check them.. try booting with only one stick (if there is more than 1) and swap them around...could be faulty RAM...

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

I have ruled out everything now. I have been swopping bits over all night and the only thing left is the mobo. :cry:
    I will swop out tommorow hopefully, and post back to let you know.

Thanks for looking.

Si

8. Sparky

Looks like you have exhausted all possibilities, another long shot but it might be a problem with a cable somewhere or a power connector to the mobo.

The reason I say this is that I had to fix hot swappable RAID 5 config a few weeks ago as drives kept failing (more than usual) I tried all the drivers\patches etc and it only started working correctly when I installed a new SCSI cable. I even installed some of the older HDs that were labelled as ‘failed’ and it rebuilt the RAID.

In saying that, swap the mobo and you will probably have a happy server! :biggrin

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spark,

Thanks for your advice, i owe you a beer. I have tried cables, drives, memory, etc.. It just can't see my IDE devices (most of the time :) )

Si

Post back when i swop the mobo.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hang on
    does this have on board IDE controller/RAID controller or a card?

11. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

You mention Gigabyte, which model board is it Boyce?

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Zimbo- Onboard.

Madman- Gigabyte GA-8IGML-T Rev 2.0

13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Boyce,

Try the "naked motherboard" test.

This is where you unscrew the motherboard out of the case, put the motherboard onto an electrically insulating sheet, plug in the CPU and RAM only into the motherboard, then the power connector from the power supply, then using a small metal screwdriver bridge the two pins that represent the power button. If the thing fires up, then there's a component that's plugged in that is causing it not to boot up. If the thing doesn't fire up, then yeah, you may have a dead motherboard.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Boyce,

Do you have an "AGP 4x" card installed in the motherboard?

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

R H Lee,

Thanks for your posts. The mobo is not completely dead- it will post but not recognise any IDE devices. On removing the mobo i noticed one of the componants looks like it is overheated; it has like <froth> coming out the top of it.

The only problem is it is a Micro ATX board for a P4 478. Not sure if it is worth spending the money on.

Thanks

Si

16. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Boyce,

You mention a "P4 478." Does your power supply have an extra 2x2 pin "P4 power connector" that plugs into a similar 2x2 socket in the motherboard?

17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yes it does. :)

18. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yes, i have mate. It will POST (one nice short beep) with everything or nothing connected.
    I tried it with nothing at all, with only the hard drive and with only the CD ROM.
    I have also tried it with one stick in alternative slots from the perfectly functional machine and it makes no difference. I have also tried a brand new IDE cable.
    I have a PCI POST tester which doesn't bring any error up (not expecting any after the short sharp <beep>).
    Now i have the mobo out, one of the capacitors looks overheated- there is all <crud> overflowing out of the top.

Thanks Si

20. Sparky

Now that cant be good! :biggrin