Cannot Install A Second EIDEHardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Professor-Falken, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I installed use 20 GB Western Digital EIDE hard drive to my desktop computer. The computer is currently setup with a 80GB hard drive as master and DVD/CD drive as slave and boots fine.
    When I connect the second hard drive to the computer on the secondary IDE channel it displays this message Verifying DMI Pool Data then the computer hangs. I disconnected the hard drive and reconnected it after Windows booted from my primary drive and after using the Add Hardware Wizard I was able to see the hard drive in my computer but when I rebooted I got the same error as before.
    Verifying DMI Pool Data
    Boot From CD:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I could be wrong but try putting the new disk the master and old one as the slave, just make sure one is master one is slave

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I dont think that is the answer I am going to wait for more replys to come in meanwhile I will search google. I am seeing alot of similar problems.

Professor Falken

WIP: Comptia Network +
  4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Check the BIOS and see what the boot device is. It might be doing something stupid and trying to boot from the new HD instead of the old one.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

have u got the disks the right way around because the message your getting sounds like the system wants to boot but cant find an appropriate place to boot from.

Do what Hippy says and have a look in CMOS and check what your boot order is and change it if you have to

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

You'll need to initialize the second harddrive in disk management after you have sorted the boot order and format the harddrive as well

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  7. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

try setting the new hdd to slave and put it on the same ide cable as your main hdd, ensure that your boot order is set to boot from your current hard drive and try it again.

btw if you get

Boot From CD:

then you have your CD before your hdd drives in your boot order, and the disk boot failure is due to no O/S boot files being on the hdd (prolly the new one since it has no O/S) so be really sure its the exsisting hdd and not the new one your trying to boot from.

That should not really have any effect on the boot order and hdd's should not need initialising, just formatting.

Another thing you could try is to boot from a windows XP (or whatever you have) cd and then see what hdd's it displays as able to install windows on. If the new one is there, try formatting it now. That might allow you to boot ok as it should blank it out and youll be certain its installed ok then :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for "check BIOS boot order".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Sounds obvious, but make sure there is no CD in the drive. Failing that, I must give yet another vote to the boot order in the bios.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I agree, check bios for boot order and make sure the master/slave jumpers are correct

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  11. andy404

andy404 New Member

In addition to checking the boot sequence. I might also be worth checking that the Secondary IDE channel is set to 'Auto' and not 'CD-ROM' drive as it could be if the CD drive was originally on that channel.

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

There's some good advice there from Manic monkey and hippy!

PF the following message:-

Usualy refers to no operating system loaded on a HD when it is set to master.

Q) Have you checked the pins on the back of the HD?
    Q) In the BIOS check to see if there is a option for smart drive or cable select?

why did you set the DVD/CD rom to slave?
    Is this on the same cable/IDE channel as the master HD?

WIP: Comptia N+