Cannot connect client computers to SBS Server

Discussion in 'SBS' started by datarunner, Oct 24, 2008.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

i am working through the train signal SBS Server 2003 training cd and ive set my server up with various user / computer accounts as per the cd. i am doing this via virtual pc.

now ive setup an xp client and when i type http://server/connectcomputer i get the following error

The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.

however if i type http://server i can see the wizards but cannot run them

ive set the server up with one nic connected to my router / switch (dhcp disabled on router) and it seems the client is getting a dhcp address from the server

pulling my hair out here

any ideas?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What's the DHCP address?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you changed the servers IP address at any stage, and if so did you re-run the change server IP address *wizard*? Because when you manually change the servers IP address, the new address does not automagically propagate to other settings where it is referenced.

Is the server's NIC TCP/IP properties set with it's *own* IP address as the DNS server?

Put your ISP's or other external DNS severs in as *forwarders* in forwarders tab of your servers DNS properties.

Then after doing that, run the *Configure E-Mail and Internet Connection Wizard* as this i believe sets up IIS with the default *correct* permissions.

Oh and just being pedantic but also so you don't get too confused.. the proper terminology is a *DHCP lease*, and the lease is for an *IP address*. It isn't a usually referred to as a DHCP address :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael

While you are correct about the precise terminology, I've heard a "dynamic address received from a DHCP server" referred to as a "DHCP address" plenty of times before. :) Might be different across the pond.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I'm not saying people don't use the term.. people often refer to things by not using the precise terminology. i'm just a stickler for getting it right. :wink:

7. BosonMichael

Well... you said, "isn't usually referred to...", when it IS usually referred to as a DHCP address (at least, in my area of the US). ;)

Sorry... I'm a stickler for the grammatical accuracy as much as the technical accuracy. Gotta be... cause when I'm not, some Beavis calls in and says, "Hey, your explanation on item 45 isn't exactly right..."

8. BosonMichael

EDIT: Double post

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, that is as maybe Michael, but just because people are sloppy with their terminology in your area of the US, doesn't mean it is correct. Y'all have a nice day :p

10. BosonMichael

<looking around for the other person in the room, since Blue used "y'all" instead of "you">

dude, you're creeping me out, who do you see behind me? :eek:

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You mean you don't see them, the dark shadowy figures that follow you wherever you go? Their red eyes flickering as they flit between half humans with bat wings and serpents. these are not mere tricks of the light my friend :eek:.

12. BosonMichael

Oh! Whew! You had me scared for a minute... that's just my family...

[​IMG]

...for a second, I thought you were gonna say something about a vampire hunter! :ohmy

13. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi buddy

i did change the ip address / dhcp scope to coincide with my router etc after the initial install.

will check out wot u said and let u know

cheers all

14. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

cheers bud

that worked. i can now connect to the sbs server and get on with my studies.

cheers

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool. glad to be of assistance 8)