Cancellation period for Computeach Course?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by coops, May 10, 2005.

1. coops

coops Bit Poster

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and will post an introduction later.

Just a quick question (after reading the negative feedback on Computeach), what is the cancellation period? My contract for an MCSD course was signed on the 5th May (5 days ago). I was told by the salesman (or advisor as they proclaim to be), the cancellation period is 2 weeks. Having read the contract it is very vague and says, 'you have for a short time the right to cancel'. I am concerned they may have screwed me but as far as I'm aware 2 weeks is set in stone and is law (in which case I can cancel - phew!)

Any advice much appreciated.

Kevin

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You don't mention why you want to cancel?

If you've got a copy of the contract and the terms and conditions, then you know as much as any of us.

Can't help you there. Sorry.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. coops

coops Bit Poster

Personally don't see the point in posting 'I can't help you'. Why not just refrain from posting at all unless you want to bump your post tally up? I was hoping to hear from someone who had been involved with Computeach and perhaps would have first hand knowledge.

I want to cancel because I have serious doubts about the value of the course. And £6000 is a lot of money if you have serious doubts.

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi coops and welcome to the forum.

You will get advice from your thread that you will either find useful or just disregard out of hand. My advice to you if read your contract very carefully and then contact Computeach directly. The contract is between you and them.

Can I respectfully point out that if someone has taken the time and effort to reply to your question, that you are a little more polite in your reply, even if it isn't the answer you are looking for.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't think Jonny meant any harm, coops. Perhaps someone will come along with the exact answer to your question and perhaps they won't. There may not be anyone here who's cancelled with this provider. I suppose since the provider's rep said you have two weeks and if you are sure you want to cancel, then call them and make the request. If you get any static from them, you can reference the name of the rep who visited with you, saying you are acting in good faith on the statements their rep gave you.

One thing I do want to say is that there are a lot of opinions about various training providers posted here but please keep in mind they are opinions and they can swing both ways. There may well be very many students who are perfectly happy with the services this provider has given them. No one can give you an absolute guarentee as to how best to manage all this. We can only do our best to answer your questions.

If you don't like the answers you get in the first few minutes or hours your query is posted, I suggest you wait a day or so and give the membership a chance to read it and respond. You may not always like the answers you receive but please do not shoot the messenger. Thank you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry coops.
    I didn't mean to sound negative.
    It just seemed like an unusual first post. We all have dealings with training providers of some kind, and would have been interested to find out a little bit about what course you were enroled on, and why you decided that you had made a mistake.
    A bit more info would have made the question easier to answer.

Once again, no offence intended.

7. TOFFEEMAD

TOFFEEMAD Bit Poster

Just a suggestion, but perhaps it's worth asking for a weeks access to Computeach's student website? You can then see what actual students think of the course as they are the ones in a position to comment. I had a Computeach rep round to see me today and I was quite impressed with the facilities and training material etc. I am always VERY cinical when it comes to spending a lot of money but you have to balance this out with the earning potential that IT 'could' provide. Computeach are a Microsoft Gold Partner so they must be doing something right. When I decide between them and NITLC I will stick with my choice and make the most of the facilities to develop my career. Best of luck with yours whoever you decide to choose!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCSE
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Option A: Pick up phone, dial Computeach, say "what cancellation period do I have with this agreement"

Option B: Take the advice from the FIRST REPLY you received and look at any paperwork you may have.

Option C: Join a site whose reputation is based on providing free, friendy and helpful advice, but show a lack of courtesy, respect or manners in any form !!!

Rocket science it ain't !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Pretty sure it is 2 weeks, but ring them or check the paperwork. Don't take our word for it!

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  10. coops

coops Bit Poster

Thanks for advice guys.

JonnyMX I think I was too quick to assume you were being 'arsy'. It's quite clear you were trying to help. My apologies.

I have cancelled my finance agreement with Computeach however I had to jump through several hoops to do it. Not at all impressed with the advice I was given re: cancelling, and if I hadn't had my wits about me, I would have been staring at a hefty bill. I explained that after further consideration I had realised I did not have the finances to pay for the course, and wished to cancel. Rather than advising me how to cancel, they told me they would put the course on hold for 3 months. On the surface this appeared quite generous of them, however, after many minutes of evasive action on their part, they finally conceded I would actually, by then, be fully tied into the finance agreement. They hold back a course place, but the not the finance agreement. :twisted:

Fortunately, as a result of several years working within Sales, I have learnt not to trust anyone, especially when money is concerned, and it was only this scepticism that saved me from getting tied into a contract I wished to cancel.

On another note, the advisor (let's face it, he's a salesman), who I had my initial 'interview' with, told me I had 2 weeks to cancel should I change my mind. Now, here's the clever part. On the initial contract you sign and get a customer copy of, it says 'you have, for a short time, an opportunity to cancel'. How vague I thought. But he assured me it was 2 weeks. Here's the best part, I received another copy of the contract several days later, which said I had FIVE DAYS to cancel, and that I had to write in. Ofcourse I just managed to get my cancellation form off in time (special delivery plus photo copies of my form as proof should I ever have to go to court). But my advice to anyone considering paying good money, especially where finance is involved, for anything, is to read the small print and take any advice given with a pinch of salt.

That's my 2 cents,

coops

11. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

Well, i just wanna say that bear in mind people who complain are heard louder then people who praise.

By that i mean... all these people you hear on the forums screaming "XXX training provider is a piece of crap" ect... it doesnt nessacarilly mean its totally true, yes im sure there have been quite a few people dissapointed and ripped off through training providers, but im sure theres a lot more who are happy. The thing is when people are happy with a service they rarely praise people for it or tell others, they do however warn people away from them with a lot more conviction.

Personally i wouldnt use training providers anyway, i think a few good books, a little determination and a friendly forum is all you need, and if you need classroom based then go to the uni / college.

Im just saying dont be scared off from them because of one person saying XXX sucks, instead just have a little common sence, trust your judgement and find out everything you possibly can before deciding to hand over that sort of cash.

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Glad you managed to sort it out in the end.
    It does sound as if the cancellation clause is a bit 'vague'.
    Remeber though, anything that the salesman tells you during the meeting becomes part of the contract even if it is not written down. It's just a case of your word against his - and if there's any doubt, the autorities tend to side with the victim, rather than the pushy salesman.

13. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

I was under the impression that with any contract you legally have a 10 or 12 day cooling period (cant remember which off hand) reguardless of what it states on the contract. Best place to check this would be your local citizens advice office.

As for CT, im currently doing a course with them and find them great, and ive also made a few new friends aswell who are on the same course. Of course theres still a few that like to moan, a recent thread trying to get a petition up to change the colour of the student forum springs to mind. But i just tend to ignore these posts and concentrate on my studies, i mean... a different colour forum isnt going to affect my studies is it.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  14. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I have also been with Conputeach for some time now, and I have a somewhat different view,

I have never been able to discuss my course with an actual MCSE tutor, the night service phone line they rave about is always for a different course.

I am unable to see that sending the same mock exam back time after time with absolutely zero feedback is helpful in the slightest. If I was to go out and pay £125 for the transcender software for each exam I could achieve an instant 100% pass with no study. I may as well have just bought the transcender software and studied solo as this seems to be the "training" I have paid for.

The in-house training facilities are of a very high standard for an IT trainer granted, personally I would prefer to be taught in a shack and get decent support throughout my studies.

The 90% pass mark with 4 minimum correct answers in each section actually gaurantees them you will pass first time.

I am spending so much time trying to pin down a few answers time and time again that I am rapidly forgetting the correct answers I knew from the top of my head 2 months ago.

I was told for the wad of cash I parted with when I signed up all my time in-center was paid for from that, oh surprise accomodation is actually covered £20 per night! The rest I need to foot the bill, £20 a night in Birmingham!

Like I say they suck, I care not for the colour of their forum pages as I am never on them, I would rather spend my time on a quality forum like this one where you can get educated interesting opinions and advice you can rely on. :x

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted, coops. Sounds like a "close call".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. coops

coops Bit Poster

you're right tripwire it was a very close call. But I do feel like it was my own initiative and caution that prevented me from being tied into that contract.

And I am almost certain there are unfortunate people out there that get caught out on the 'small print'. I am not referring solely to Computeach, but any and all finance agreements.

My advice is simply to be as cautious as possible and take as fact only what is in writing, and not word of mouth.

coops

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware !

More info:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. Norrie

Norrie New Member

Hi all

As an experienced EX direct salesman, not in training I add, the law on signing contracts is at best weird. First off always get ur copy of the contract when u sign, read it before the sales person leaves and always always ask about the cooling off period , how many days u have to cancel. In some circumstances signing ur contract at HOME negates ur rights to a cooling off period but any reputable company will give u 14 days as far as I know this is still voluntary. I had a long chat with the sales person I dealt with mostly about sales not the course, these guys are in it for the commision just like all salesmen some will be good guys a few will be less than open if they evade ur questions watch out. I know nothing about how the companies run computer course sales or thier sales training but the commision in normal direct sales on a contract worth £1000 will be around £200 so these guys have a vested interest in signing u up. My own experience so far with my training company, they have done all they promised just been a bit slow frustrating but contractually they havn't put a foot wrong.

Norrie

WIP: A+