Canceling an Advent training course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Enerzeal, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Enerzeal

Enerzeal New Member

Hey all, first post! Considering canceling my Advent MCSE training course. Only problem is I am almost a year into it. I am terrified that I wont be able to cancel it off and will have to pay them all the money that they want from me, which is a massive figure.

Will I have to pay the entire thing off, or can I cancel and walk away now after what I have payed already?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you may have had a cooling off period when you first signed the contract with them, but typically this is usually only 10 days or so. As you have been with them a year, it would seem that you are committed to the terms of the contract.

Before you sign any contract, make sure you read it in it's entirety and pay special attention to *cancellation clauses*.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

Hi Enerzeal

I'm afraid you will not be able to cancel the course.

When you sign up to complete a course, you sign up to complete it.

It will not be Advent's fault you have not carried on with you studies.

My advise is to get stuck in a complete the course and use all the support you can.

FA

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Love it.

"I bought a car, drove it for a year then decided it was too expensive to run, so I just took it back to the dealer and got my money back"

"I bought this tin of beans, ate them, then decided I didn't really like beans after all, so I took them back in (ahem) 'processed' form, dumped them at the checkout and got my money back"

"I went on holiday to Spain, flew back then decided I didn't really like Spain because I couldn't speak the language so I went to First Choice and got my money back"

The mind boggles.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Two things, at the risk of sounding unhelpful:

1. You have a contract with Advent - we don't. If you didn't read it before you signed it, read it now. There will be a clause there somewhere about cancellation.

2. Speak to Advent. This is between you and them. Maybe a phone call followed up by a letter. You will need to explain exactly why you want to cancel. If it's because of something they've done or not done, then say so (although they will have the right to try and correct the problem rather than let you cancel). If it's because of your circumstances, tell them that too. If you just couldn't be bothered to do any work then you're going to be in trouble. However, if you have lost your job, your partner and have discovered that you have cancer, then they will have to consider the negative publicity that this could generate if you took it to the press for example.

3 (out of two). How are you paying? If you have paid via a bank loan etc talk to them about early settlement. You may be able to save yourself some interest payments. Again, if you have any customer service issues, involve the bank too. They in turn will have to nag Advent and it just makes more work for everyone.

However, as we've seen many times here before, it usually takes less effort to get on with the course and see what you can get out of it, rather than fighting a losing battle.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How are you paying for this? Career development loan?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. colz1234

colz1234 Bit Poster

how come all of a sudden you decided you dont want to continue with the course?

i doubt very much you will get any money back as you have signed up to complete the whole course, terms and conditions and all that, so best bet is to stick with it and use as much of the material as you can, might as well if you cant get any of your money back

Certifications: COMPTIA A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA MCSE
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering canceling my two-year health club membership. Only problem is I am almost a year into it, and I can't find the motivation to exercise. I am terrified that I wont be able to cancel it off and will have to pay them all the money that they want from me, which is a massive figure.

Will I have to pay the entire thing off, or can I cancel and walk away now (slowly - don't wanna strain anything, after all! whew!) after what I have payed already?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Enerzeal

Enerzeal New Member

The short answer is, I was hit by an unusual bout of depression when my grandad passed away some months ago, and as a result all desire to learn flew out of the window. Recently I have picked my self up of the floor, and got work again, so things are picking up, but I was wondering where I stand with the course. If I cannot cancel it then I will finish it, I was simply wondering where I stood.