can you join

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by PAT, Aug 22, 2008.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

A network user has 2 join 2 domains (1 at office and 1 at home)
    Can I set up the pc to join both of these domains without having to join and remove the pc from the domain every time ?

2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

erm this is asked word for word on experts exchange:blink

so go there http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_20517201.html

be sure to scroll to the bottom of the screen for the answer. EE gives the impression you have to pay for answers but they just keep them at the bottom

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. PAT

PAT Banned

i cant see any answers and im not joining the site because i will end up with spam.

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I do not believe you can join more than one Domain at anytime.

The customer will need to 'logoff' Domain A and when they get home 'logon' to Domain B.

Just use the logon to box and select the appropriate domain.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. skulkerboyo

as i said before just scroll to the bottom of the page. after the ads there are answers - no need to sign up

Its one of those sites that makes you think you have to join

scroll down yah?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  6. skulkerboyo

oh and its a no

Craigie1977 - its all very well saying Just use the logon to box and select the appropriate domain but if you have ever put a system on a domain you would see that your options are restricted to ONE domain among multiple other reasons its not possible without trickery. The logon box is immaterial and your answer worrying.

I have a policy. I only answer questions I know the answer to. Saves alot of embarassment and doesnt mislead people

Sorry if this comes off as harsh but I've had a week of witnessing bad advice and having to bite my tongue

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I think someone should re-read my statement again.

The wording I used, was I do not believe.....not this is the answer.

When it comes to IT, you troubleshoot, not always is the first answer the correct one.

How do you learn without trying items out?

Perhaps in future it would save you some embarassment and read the person response fully before replying :twisted:

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. skulkerboyo

To hell with you

regardless you are wrong

9. skulkerboyo

dffdfd

10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Easy there cowboy - everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. skulkerboyo

True

I still stand by what I said (not the to hell bit)

My apologies to all I have offended

Very stressed and definately misdirected my frustrations

I'll go into a corner and spank myself

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Too much information, but ok... lol

Thought of the day - Instead of a stress toy why not grab a user? :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. skulkerboyo

I have just the user in mind:twisted:

14. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You can join the PC to one domain. Then setup a domain or forest trust between the two domains. There are a few things you will need to check, the domain tree structure, the domain and forest functional level, DNS forwarders et al. You will also need a VPN or similar between the two domains. With a trust in place the PC authenticates to its host DC, you setup some universal groups for resource access and the user can access resources in the other domain.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  15. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

This is wrong mate, the user would need to log onto the local computer at home and unjoin Domain A and then join Domain B, which would be rather a hassle.

Skulker I can't see the answer at the bottom of the page from your link either bud.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs