Can you install Windows on a new Intel Mac?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Baba O'Riley, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Guys,

The UK magazine PC Plus is offering a £500 prize to the first peson who can successfully install a genuine version of Windows on an Intel based Mac before Januay 2007.

Obviously, you can't use VMWare or such like and you must only use the hardware that came with the Mac.

Anyone fancy the challenge?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Isn't that a bit late?

Look here !

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Baba O'Riley

Perhaps, but I can't see any proof they did it.

4. Dosh

Dosh Bit Poster

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

i thought the whole idea of Mac was to get away from Windows :tune :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Baba O'Riley

Nice one Boyce.

Anyway, according to the article I read, there are two main issues with this. One is getting the Mac to boot from a non-Mac formatted CD (IE, a Windows installation disk) and two, Windows doesn't support the new EFI that is replacing the traditional BIOS. I haven't checked out any of Dosh's links yet to see if these can be overcome somehow, perhaps there is.

7. Baba O'Riley

On a related note, I just found this app that completely skins Windows to look like OS X right down to the boot screen and a funky animated quick launcher (screen shot from a test machine attached). But as Boyce says, is there a point?

Attached Files:

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok guys...before I give u the heads up...anyone thinking of installing Windows on an Intel based Mac needs their head testing and I mean testing!!! Like Boyce says the whole point of using a Mac is to get away from Windows...(altho I wouldnt stray away from them since I love PCs and yes I know I work for Apple) anyway have a look at this site and tell me if u have the patience and 20-30min go for it otherwise please dont tell me whether it works or not...the fundamentals are a Mac OS is based on the UNIX system (kinda like Linux u see) and the Windows OS is totally different and plus dont forget hardware compatibility) Why would anyone want to do this I dont know...and the Macs do not come cheap at all!!! anyway here is the link...please feel free to $crew up the Mac.... http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/HOWTO

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life