Can you folks answer this questions because I don't agree with the answer

Discussion in 'A+' started by dr_fmj, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

So to conclude...

C – in the exam
    D – in the real world

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Both in the real world but C in the exam :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You are all forgetting the real answer;

" He/She needs a new printer" :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I would do:
    half of D) (pull out the cartridge)
    C) (check cartridge is compatible with the printer)
    and then either finish off D), just so I can be sure it's done properly, or sigh and go and get a compatible cartridge.
    Technically that's a C), although I might just note down the cartridge number and reseat it before trying to find the documentation(assuming there was still an error), which would make the answer D).

Unless they only have one model of printer in the office (for example, two identical printers and nothing else), then there would be no need for C).

A poor question because it doesn't give you enough information to be able to decide between two possible answers.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah. Soon as I sat down in front of a Netscreen firewall/Active Directory/Cisco Router/RRAS Server/IDS box/SQL Server I knew what I was doing and just fumbled around and hit it with various hammers until it did what I wanted.

Documentation FTW - For The ABSOLUTE Win - There has never been a better maxim than 'RTFM'

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

F: Turn the printer off and back on again?

In all honesty, there are loads of tech fixes to problems like this - and the reason why exams like you to refer to the manual is that you benefit from the vendor's hard work in troubleshooting various problems before you try your own.

Generally a vendor (should have) tested their product in loads of scenarios before releasing it, plus they get the 'benefit' of consumer feedback with problems and issues. So why recreate all the work for yourself when the answer might be in the little book on the desk?

(or in the 2,000 page online pdf in 16 languages...)

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Also, they missed option F: go and have a moan at your purchasing department, as they bought the cheapest compatible toners they could, and for the nth time this week, one of them has been a dud. Happened to me yesterday - two new toners - one not registering, one printing horrible black lines over the page. Gave the original toner a shake, put it back in, and it prints fine, if a little faint.

Certifications: HND Computing
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This +1

A lot of exam questions are a load of bollocks, but a necessity for some. I mean, you can't exactly put the real world scenario of "Try X, then Y, then Z Until fix is found" which is what happens in Real life. lol.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Glad to see you're taking this one in good humour :p

It is a little worrying for newcomers (I include myself in this as I'm currently studying the A+) that exam question answers could be so ambiguous but as long as they are few and far between... I'd be annoyed to fail marginally if so but having said that if you're borderline should you really be passing anyway? It's debatable.

All in all at least you can't just learn the answers like you can the driving theory test (in the UK at least) which kind of defeats the point of UNDERSTANDING the material.

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Despite what many might think, I take most everything in good humour. ;)

Yeah, I agree that it's worrisome that those questions are in there... but CompTIA doesn't seem to listen to those complaints. And they'll keep getting those complaints until they stop asking just about anyone who has passed the A+ in the past to write test questions for them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!