1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Windows XP Pro be used to run a workgroup?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by hugorilho, Apr 3, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hi guys. I'm just starting to study for my MCDST exam. I've doing some reading about it and I know it covers Windows XP PRO and all it's features. But my question is this: Can XP Pro be used to control a workgroup or used as server like win 2k3? I know that XP Pro as group policies and shared files and folders permissions management capabilities but I was wondering if I was to apply for a job as DST, does that mean that the company uses win XP Pro to run it's LAN/workgroup instead of for example win 2k3? Please try to ignore the newbie flavour of this question...Cheers!

Certifications: MCDST
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

No, in a workgroup environment there is no central management like in a domain (Active directory).

Yes they could do that, however XP Pro has a inbound connection limit of 10. So for most companies, even if they run a workgroup, they would/should have some sort of server on the network just acting as a fileserver.

Group policies are only in a AD(domain) environments, otherwise each Win XP PC would be configured separately using local policies. If you were to apply to a small company (as really any company that has more that a few PC's should really be running a domain, imo) as a DST and were successful, they could be using anything from a client XP to a Windows server OS to Linux to Apple's Server OS as their fileserver. They may even just use a NAS for central storage for their files instead of a server.

Hope that helps

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Thank you very much for your helpful assistance!

Certifications: MCDST