Can someone help me?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sappleton, Sep 5, 2007.

1. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

I want to buy one of these self study kits

http://www.ciwcertified.com/training/selfstudy.asp

but im told they don't deliver to uk and ireland

is this because the exam is different in the uk?

problem is, they recommend retailers charging £500 a go compared to $200

why is this the case?

2. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hey Sappleton,

Try this link from Computer Prep. It's a list of authorised distributors in the UK.

http://www.computerprep.com/catalog/UK-distributor.asp

I'll see if I can find anything else.

Bill

3. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

have you seen how much more it costs from uk ? extra £300+

all i wanted to know was if the guides were the same, then i could get them sent to someone i know in usa, they could then post to me

4. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Sorry, I hadn't compared prices on them. I was just looking for additional sources for you. I've heard in the past that the prices were quite a bit higher in the UK. ComputerPrep doesn't ship to the UK either, but if you have someone in the states that can forward the material to you, you might at least compare their prices.

In the meantime, I'll work on getting the list I mentioned in your other post put together. There are a lot of free resources included in it.

5. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

any advice anyone?

6. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

sappleton,

How are you so sure that they don't deliver to the UK? I'm sure they do, because as I said in a previous post, I recently bought the material from them. Also, read this:

http://www.computerprep.com/about/

They describe themselves as being a "worldwide distributor of an extensive, nationally acclaimed library of courseware products for both vendor-neutral and vendor-specific information technology (IT) subjects and certifications, and business & professional development topics."

Alex :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  7. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Watch out when ordering anything like this from the US.
    Even if you are happy to pay shipping charges, quite often the real shocker comes when the courier turns up and asks you for £40 import tax on top.

It's not usually a problem with printed material, but CDs etc are a nightmare and it all comes down to what the supplier has listed the contents as on the packaging.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

BrotherBill,

That's certainly cleared up any confusion! :D

sappleton, I'm afraid I can't help you. There certainly was a time that they shipped to the UK. Looks like you've missed the boat friend.

Best of luck with your on-going search for materials. :thumbleft

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  10. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hey Sappleton,

I guess if you're set on having the self-study kit, you can buy it direct from ComputerPREP, and have them ship it to your friend in the states.

Before you do, take a look at the CIW Resources post I put up earlier. You may find someone there that ships to the UK. There are also a lot of free resources in it too. Have a look.

Bill

11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Which of the CIW courses are you wanting to take?

I found this on the Amazon.com site. I don't know if it's what you're looking for but you could look to see if it is available from Amazon in the UK.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Sybex books. I've found them to cover all the ground and to be pretty well-written. I used them all the way through my MCSE and MCDBA.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I often order from Amazon.com, it can work out alot cheaper if you want 3+ books even after the shipping.

13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Here in the US if you don't mind waiting on slow shipping you get free shipping on just about all orders over about $25.00 from Amazon. Usually it takes about 2 weeks on their free shipping, but it does save about $3.00-$5.00 per book.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. sappleton

sappleton Bit Poster

i really wanted the official one just for self-satisfation

i like knowing that all i need to learn is in front of me without missing anything out, really wanted e-learning kit most of all

its the CIW v5 foundations i want to do