Can someone help me please?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Paul, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Paul

Paul New Member

I'm after some guidance really on what to do to achieve my goal (network engineer).
    I currently work in a System Admin role (5 years exp), working on a HP Unix environment, being 1st line of support in all IT problems.
    I'm not sure whether this job is entry level or desktop support.
    I have no cisco experience whatsoever so I know I need to go for a more network related job before studying the ccna.
    Would someone be able to give me the type of jobs I should be looking for giving my current experience.

Many Thanks
    Paul

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do you have any certs already? if not I suggest getting the A+,N+ and MCDST getting these may bolster your recognition where you work and they may decide to put you into 2nd line support or even 3rd which would probably give you more exposure to the more adanced side of your company i.e networking

Then when you get the experience you could apply for network admin jobs and proceed from there.

N+ (networking) would give you a good solid beginner certs and help you in your networking career persuit.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're not already doing server administration, I would encourage you to find opportunites to do so. Server admin jobs typically lead to network admin jobs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Paul

Paul New Member

Thanks for your swift responses.
    I did the A+ and N+ a few years ago. I started studying the CCNA about a year ago but realised it would be pointless taking the exam until I had experience.
    At my work, 2nd and 3rd line support are provided by a 3rd party, as well as the server admin side of things so it won't be as easy for me to get involved.
    Would you advise on studying the MCSE cert before looking for server admin jobs, or should I start looking now with my current experience?

Many Thanks
    Paul

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Paul,

I would also encourage you to start applying for first line server support roles. I would also look into achieving the MCSA cert which concentrates heavily on MS servers and network infrastructure.

To be honest you have a big advantage considering you have five years IT experience as it's often time transferable. I'd start applying for jobs via www.jobserve.com and see how you get on.

Best wishes and keep us posted of your progress and vice versa:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend finding another job where you can get that hands-on server administration experience. If you can get a server admin job, that'd be great. But don't dismiss the possibility of making a lateral move to another desktop support job... one where you CAN work on servers, helping/shadowing the server admins there.

The MCSE certification is designed for people who have 12 months of experience administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server domain environment... not because you can't pass the exam, but because it's not gonna do you much good without the experience to go with the certification. The MCSA is similar, but only 6 months of experience is recommended.

That doesn't mean that you can't start studying. It is always good to study and learn new things. I simply give the advice I do so you won't get the mistaken impression that a server admin certification will automagically qualify you to get a server admin job.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Paul

Paul New Member

Thanks, that helps a lot. I can now start to see the road I need to take :)
    I think getting a similar job which has potential server admin exposure is the way to go.
    Now, time to polish up that CV.
    Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.