Can someone clarify which books I need for the CCNA?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by krisbell, Feb 20, 2007.

1. krisbell

krisbell New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm sure this question has been asked before but here goes anyway. I am looking to self-study for the CCNA but cannot find anywhere exactly which books will help me achieve this. Amazon has self study CCNA guides but they come in parts 1 &2, and parts 3 & 4. Do I need to get both of these to pass the CCNA or is just 1 sufficient or even just part of 1? I'm a little confused so a little clarification would be really helpfull. I'm not being tight and I will happily buy all the books I need as it is still cheaper than a course but I dont want to waste money and effort buying and reading books I dont need to read.
    Many thanks

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I usually recommend the following:
    CCNA Self-Study Preparation Library
    CCNA Exam Certification Library
    Sybex CCNA Study Guide

Some of these packs consist of more than one book, so don't be put off by the higher prices.

Links provided are for Amazon US - you can search for the ISBN codes on Amazon UK to find them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Donn

Donn New Member

Hi there,

If you want to study for the CCNA the way Cisco recommends, then you would need to go out and purchase all 4 of the official CCNA books. As the CCNA course is made up of 4 semesters, each book relates to each of the 4 semesters. So I'm afraid you would need all 4.
    This is not only very expensive but will also be a pain in the backside trying to wade through all 4 books. One thing you are quaranteed with these books is falling asleep.
    If on the other hand you want something more concise and easier on the eyes. Then I would recommend 100% Todd Lammle's Sybex CCNA study guide to study from and CCNA fast pass for cramming just before the exam.
    I can recommend the above books 100%, as they are what I used whilst I studied for my CCNA. I just missed out on it in the end, but that's a whole different story that I don't want to bore you with here.

Regards

Donn :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-210, 70-215
    WIP: 70-218
  4. laup

laup Byte Poster

There are infact 2 books not 4

Book 1 = Semester 1/2 Intro Exam
    Book 2 = Semester 3/4 ICND Exam

Both for 640-801 Exam :P

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>