Can someone answer this??

Discussion in 'A+' started by ParviJatt, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ParviJatt

ParviJatt Bit Poster

Which of the following is the local user with the MOST authority on a computer running Windows XP?

A. BCM user
    B. Power user
    C. Network Configuration Operator
    D. Administrator

and this one

A New intern needs to be able to install programs on her computer, What access level does she need?

A. User
    B. Power user
    C. Guest
    D. Administrator

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Please be careful when posting these types of questions especially if they are taken directly from your Course Provider's training materials, or any other copyrighted source.

See here for the Posting of Copyright Material thread.

OK, assuming that the above doesn't apply to this post...

1. is D
    2. is really dependant on what kind of program this person is trying to install (if it writes in protected areas, makes changes to the registery, the OS itself, etc...) but rule of thumb is D

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Surely you have already asked the first question!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would disagree with your answer to #2, and here is why. If a network is to be secure the principle of least privilege must be followed. So, a new intern would be trusted with power user permissions before given administrator positiions. As you say, real world situations do depend on whether the software being installed installs things like system services and where and what it has to modify to work, but the question only said install software, and my experience with exam questions is that you don't read anything into the question. You take it as exactly what it says, and nothing more. In that case power user is really the only correct answer.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

But what happens if you're running Vista, where there is no Poweruser group anymore? These are the sort of questions that I do not like with Comptia (whether it's in the A+, network+ or Sec+), ambiguous.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The A+ isn't going to be asking questions specific to Vista so you can take Microsoft's latest desktop operating system out of the equation. When I was writing the PC Street Smarts book, I initially included examples specifically using XP. The editor at Sybex informed me that CompTIA's current A+ questions focus more on Windows 2000. I thought that a little odd since XP has been around for awhile and is the most common desktop OS you'll encounter, but went along with it.

Long story short, don't worry about Vista when taking the A+ exams.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I concur with freddy, in the real world of IT who on earth would give a new employee Administrator rights to install a program that has not been vetted by the IT department?? Who knows what problems/conflicts that program could have with the network!

But in a text book scenario:-

1) d
    2) b - power user because the power user account lets you install programs but not modify the operating system files/services:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would also say 1: D 2: B I don't think a new intern would be given admin rights.

Although the A+ wont ask about Vista, if it were based on vista then Ken would have been correct.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would also say that the answer to question 1 is D and the answer to question 2 is B.

My thoughts and knowledge would be that of what ffreeloader said. You never want to give someone full administrative rights.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA