Can somebody please explain this?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Sep 15, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know that fox hunting is a tradition in the UK but the whole thing seems mysterious to me. I think I've seen any number of films set in the UK where the rich go on this elaborate fox hunt. In America, we hunt just about anything with four legs it seems and the right to own firearms in the states is almost a religious experience. Anyway, I read the story below and thought I'd ask if any of you can shed some light as to what the issues involved are. Thanks.

Read the rest of the story here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Now now Trip...like you said you dont really understand it? Well quite frankly neither do I. But here's something to keep you thinking...9/11 after that the whole world went mad on security issues...at least we thought...if you read the news in the UK yesterday you will have noticed Batman standing on the balcony of Buckingham Palace again questions raised about UK and its security...and the fiasco with the the foxhunting? thats a bunch of poor sods who have too much time on their hands...even the Roayl Family do it...so if u ask me...i think its quite funny when I see protesting like that especially in the house of commons...so I say let them have it...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah the bans all be cause a load of city environmentalists and bleeding hearts who have never been on a damn farm in thier life think its misstreating the animals, tell that to the chickens the foxes tear up ;)

they already banned fox hunting with hounds as far as i am aware, now they want to ban hunting out right, its ridiculous, although, not as ridiculous as your gun laws ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

It's been banned in Scotland for a year now, and none of the Pro-hunt Lobby's arguments at the time have proven to be right. No jobs lost, no loss of business/tourism, just less ripped-apart foxes.

Oh, and also, less foxes altogether. Strange that, eh ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i have to disagree phoenix. simply hunting the foxes is one thing. and when its a problem to farms i can applaud it. but they often kill foxes in areas where they arent causing a problem. and they also tend to go around before the hunt blocking off all the foxholes, preventing the fox from getting away. thats hardly sporting now is it. i also dont like the idea that they let their dogs tear the fox apart. its not like the fox is doing anything wrong. its only obeying its nature. if anything, perhaps farmers should take more precautions to stop them getting in in the first place!

Certainly a hot topic trip

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

true that Fergal, and i dont agree with the 'unsporting' conduct, just serves to make those upper class snobs feel a little superior

but i dont have a problem with hunting, wherever it is, as long as its conducted in a fitting and sporting manner (read: not upper class snobbish manner)

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

cool, well i agree with you in that manner. hunting is just another part of the food chain. i prefer hunting for food. dont agree with hunting just for trophys (taking a trophy is one thing, hunting for the sole purpose of taking one, and discarding the rest is another).

im not a vegan, or a vegetarian. im a carnivore, plain an simple. its my nature to eat meat (mmmmmmm meat). its just some things to do with it i dont like!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Agreed. I think that there is no problem with hunting, as long as it serves some sort of purpose, e.g food, as Fergal said. Lot's of people here in Canada go hunting, and I see no problem with it. I myself won't go hunting, cause there is no way I could justify to myself that I needed the meat when I can go to the supermarket and buy a big juicy steak, yum. I know alot of hunter's, and I've recently eaten both wild moose (pretty good actually) and deer.

Fox hunting to me is a completely different keetle of fish. There is no need to get a load of hounds, horses and snob's together on the weekend to chase a fox through the country side, only to rip it apart at the end.

They say it threaten's their way of life ect, but there are alternative's to using a real fox, such as trailing the scent of a fox throught the country side, and letting the hound's chase that. I know it ain't quite the same, but the hunter's are still getting out, riding throught the countryside in those pretty red jackets (lol) and doing whatever they do. They're just not ripping something apart at the end (or is that the whole point :ohmy )

Leave fox control to the farmer's I say. they can get rid of the problem using a 22 rifle, it's quick for the fox, and only fox's that are causing problems will be killed.

We have problems with bears in Canada, but you don't see us bear baiting to justify "population controll"!!!!

Just my daily ramble.

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I really like being a part of the thread where there is a lively discussion on social issues. Thanks for making this issue clearer for me, guys. I know that American gun laws are pretty odd when looked at from your side of the pond. I just saw a press release stating that we are revoking our ten year ban on selling fully automatic rifles. Not that anyone with minor mechanical skills couldn't turn a semi-auto to a full-auto in about ten seconds, of course.

I don't own firearms myself but my father is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. All my life, he's hunted for game and turned it into food. If he didn't eat it, he'd give it to someone that would. I've never known him to hunt or fish just for the sport of it and let the animal go to waste.

He's in his 70s now and although in good health, is not up to tromping around the woods for days on end with a rifle or shotgun. Sticks to fishing with a buddy or two.

I don't oppose hunting or owning a firearm but I can't see killing a critter just for the sake of killing it. I also can't see having to own a full auto rifle unless you are a gun collector. Most of these morons that want one just want to "get their rocks off" so to speak, on the firing range or impress their buddies. It's like having the biggest truck on the block or something.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

that is ofcourse, precisley why we find your gun laws odd :)
    i believe the ammendment states 'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed'

ofcoruse, 'Arms' is defined no where, so by arms we could be talking sling shots, or thermo nuclear warheads
    ofcourse the minute i build something remotely resembling an ICBM the patriot act will have me locked up without trial for god knows how long

and a well regulated militia, being necassary to the security of a free state? well that would mean your 'militia' needs enough firepower to rival the US military. so obviously i should be allowed to own an AH-64 Gunship :)

11. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Now that would rock! Although it might be kinda hard to get hold of. lol :biggrin

Imagine turning up for work in that everyday, wouldn't be too long before user's started to show a bit of respect. :evil:

Wonder how hard it would be to get a parking space?!?!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if getting a space is hard you just drive your M1A1 to work
    or use one of the many 'features' equipped as standard on an AH-64

or land on the roof :)

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you turned up in the AH-64 or the M1A1, they would definately be calling you Mr Coates.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Couldn't you just blow open a space?
    :eek:

15. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Andy, Superbly put :clap

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  16. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

Well.............I guess I'm too late on this. Nevertheless I'll continue.
    If hunting is to justify "population controll" then ppl aint b hunting
    for fox or bears but they shud b killin each other coz the population
    of us humans is unparalled on this planet except for the beings having
    insignificant physical structure like ants or insects.
    Theres no big deal in hunting a fox. But how many hunters will step forward
    if the plan is to hunt a 1000 mozzies in a swamp.:blink 8)

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE