Can i make a decent wage self employed?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Can i make a decent wage self employed?

By just going door to door doing things like setting up wireless routers and things.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes.
    If you do it right.

But not by knocking on doors and asking if anyone needs a wireless router setting up.
    That business model works best for double glazing and block paving.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

In my opinion, absolutely not, and I think it is only going to become harder and harder as the general population gets more tech savvy. When I first moved to Manchester, I could see about a dozen unlocked wireless connections by the time I left, there wasn't one, and that only took 2 years, it was the same in general, I used to check my emails on my Ipod walking from a friends to mine on several peoples wireless connections, and I could usually maintain connection for the entire 5 minute walk, by the time I left there wasn't a single one unlocked.

That's not a expert opinion on IT or anything, but I think it's an all right example of how things are going to move.

EDIT::: The above applies to the knocking on doors and really half arsed ways not saying that you can't make a wage self employed because we know that you definitely can.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. ericrollo

Im just looking to do something over summer if i cant find a temporary job.

5. westernkings

How many have you applied for mate? any luck in terms of interviews etc?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. ericrollo

Not really, i had one interview (Only for administration work last week) but i doubt it will lead to a job. I still have my part time job so its not all bad.

I cant imagine how many jobs i have applied for.

7. westernkings

If you are getting an interview, then there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't get the job, getting the interview is the hard part. I've forgot your specific story, but you are looking for IT work aren't you? have you tried connections?

8. ericrollo

I know but the interview was with an agency which was supposed to call me back today one way or another, which they haven't.

Im looking for anything over the summer holiday.

I even applied to clean up at the download festival until the recruiter said that you need to stay calm and relaxed because you will be working with some crazy Irish people.

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A self employed business that makes money is usually something that takes a lot of time and money to set up. It's not the same as turning up on a building site with a shovel over your shoulder.

If you're looking for summer work, there's usually a fair bit of studenty stuff over the summer if you don't mind working in a bar.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Late last year I decided to try something similar, I set up my own website, business cards and walked the area putting them through doors (about 400 cards all told), out of all of that I had two calls and a total of about £300 worth of earnings, I spent about £300 on domain registration, web hosting, business cards and mobile phone card. Since January I haven't had a peep.

My advice, look for something else.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What he said....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. ericrollo

That is interesting, do you think it would improve if you actually knocked on doors instead of delivering business cards?

I would not pay for a website because no one will use it but i would get business cards which are like £20.

Because to me £300 is quite a good weeks wage, i might just have to try this myself anyway just for a couple of days.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Would you let some dude who came knocking at your door unannounced have access to your computer?

Let's change it to a career field that you might not know anything about. Say some guy came knocking at your door asking to service your AC system. Yet you haven't called anyone for service, and you are unaware of anything being wrong with your AC system. Would you let him in? Would you even be curious about his services, considering your AC seems to be working just fine, and particularly with the economy as tight as it is?

Knocking randomly doesn't seem like a very scalable plan. At least the business card idea allows for people to call whenever they think they need a tech.

Going from small business to small business might be a better idea, as they tend to have more computers and no full-time tech. That said, the SMB IT support market is pretty saturated in some towns.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

some interesting comments here.

a close friend is self employed and recently started to open up his working area to increase sales potential.

he hasnt got the luxury of marketing people so has learnt a lot of stuff the hard way - by spending money and time where it hasnt made him a penny, although interestingly spent little and a earnt a lot in other areas.

going by what he said, in this case of residential repairs i would have guesses dropping leaflets/advertising in more affluent areas could return well. People with little time and plenty of money (!) couldn't be doing with dismantling the bedroom to lug a desktop down to PC w$rld to go and collect it again (and that's before they realise they will be sold Norton 360 and an all in one scanner,printer fax - sorry had to get that one in!). it's far easier to get someone who is good, trustworthy and reasonable price to call over and sort it all out for them.

that's my 2 pence worth anyway!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The chances of making £300 in a week are slim. If you want to fix a PC for some extra beer money then that’s ok but you would be best to start off fixing family and friends PCs first and see how you go from there.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I made the £300 in 6 months not one week, it certainly wouldn't have put food on the table and it was definitely not something I could rely on to bring regular income into.

As for the website, I have a friend who also does this kind of work and his website does generate a lot of interest. Another reason for the website is that it gives people a broader idea of what's on offer, add to that is the fact that people generally feel happier with a website because it's not so fly by night.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I haven't read this thread all the way through but what I will say will probably already have been said.

No you wont, unless you live in a place where there are no other IT techs or companies that fix stuff then you will make some money but I highly doubt that.

I live in a small village and the nearest shop that fixes PCs in 9 miles away, I o get some custom but not enough to live off. But I am fortunate to have built a few PCs for people and the words spread so I am building quite often but then again at the most I might make £50 per build. That would be great if I were doing 9 or 10 builds a week but thats not gonna happen.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

Hi,

If you are serious about this, I strongly suggest you take a look at this site:

http://www.technibble.com/

Loads of great articles and advice from people wanting to do what your'e doing, from setting up a chain of repair shops, to just knocking on doors looking for business. Should give you some ideas.

Steff.

Certifications: A+, BA (hons)
    WIP: Network+