Can i have some help please!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sayed, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Sayed

Sayed Bit Poster

Hey guys...

Ok, basically what my query is...

At the moment, i have got windows XP home edition installed on my PC at home...

I want to upgrade to XP Pro to get the extra facilities for work/study purposes. I have the option of getting the "Full" XP Pro Installation CD from work, but they havent got the "upgrade" version of XP Pro.

I am wondering whether to Install the Full XP pro CD or buying an upgrade version myself. I have been told that Installing the full version of XP might cause a lot of hassle and i might lose files, have the need to re-install drivers and etc...

Can anyone offer some advice?

Also someone mentioned that i may need to do a clean install, and that would require the original XP home CD.. but i havent got the original XP home edition on CD... Its all on recovery discs that came with the PC....

Thanks..

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Full version offers you the option to upgrade.

IMO though you should wipe and rebuild from scratch. Yes you will have to backup, and reinstall everything, but you know that you will be getting a clean install with no lingering problems.

8)

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Actualy - how easy a wipe and install is would depend on the recovery CD.

Some of them have the drivers accessible to explorer - so it makes it easy to change to Pro. Others have the whole disk image in a file, so you can't get at the drivers separately.

Lastly - how old is this PC? If it is still under guarrantee then the maker *could* refuse to honour it if the machine developed a problem with a non-original OS on it. (Although it would be a small-minded maker to quibble about the difference between Home and Pro.)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Have to agree with Si here. Get the full Pro version and do a new install after backing up everything you need. That way you'll know that there are no conflicts due to using an upgrade.
    I've done upgrades in the past forgetting to backup and lost files doh!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Sayed

Sayed Bit Poster

Would this mean reformatting the HD ? If it was a clean Install? and i dont mean to sound rude (lol) but are you sure about being asked to 'upgrade' when you use the Full installation CD? reason being, a colleague next to me has said he tried the same thing i want to do, and wasnt given that option....

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep.

Yep, 100% sure.

Can't help with that one!

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I agree with Si...I would have also said wipe off the HDD and do a fresh install...if Si says it gives you an option to upgrade (which I am sure it does) then choose that option...however its best to format then install...cos then you have the full Pro OS as opposed to the Home version cloaked under the Pro version...which I think u will find may cause some problems in the future...altho I could be wrong again but from past experience it can be a pain!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Worth mentioning, just incase you're not sure, that if you want to upgrade you need to boot into windows and then insert the XP CD.

For other options, the best way is to boot from CD.

8)

9. Sayed

Sayed Bit Poster

I just need the IIS Path facilities that XP Pro provides, and the remote desktop option... but i think doing a clean install sounds like the way to go....

10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It's funny you should mention that because my full XP Pro disc won't allow me to upgrade a 98 machine, only do a new install. Strange.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

full xp pro oem cannot upgrade.
    full xp pro retail should be able to upgrade just fine.

12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Interesting, d-Faktor. Mine is a volume licencing disk so I imagine that counts as an OEM?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

uhm, i'm not sure what to say about that. i just tried my own licensing cd (or rather my employers licensing cd), and the upgrade option is available to me, both during the gui setup as well as during the text setup. :blink