Can i get some advice please?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Bash, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Bash

Bash Bit Poster

Hey everyone :D

I wondered whether i could get some advice from some of you about the 601 and 602 cert (yes, im completely new to all this lol)

I really want to start self-studying for the A+ cert from scratch (no prior knowledge, but am dedicated) with the intention of then doing the NETWORK+ and perhaps moving on to MCSA.

I'm unsure though because i dont have any work experience in a IT job and im afraid this'll hinder my chances of landing a role even if im qualified.

From what ive read from you guys the mike meyers All in one is the best way to go and im guessing i should start with the latest edition, and then when ready book my 601 via pearsonvue.

Is it worth starting now as ive read that its all being updated for vista?

And does the 220-602 include the 601 cert? (i ask this because i cant see the comptia website state the
    601?)
    http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx

P.S. would i need any other resources apart from the book?

Thanks and sorry for the long post :)

WIP: A+
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

The A+ All in One Guide is the book for the A+. They are updating the exams, but not for a good while yet, so start studying now, the AIO guide is still 100% relevant.

You need to sit the 220-601 AND the 220-602 to be A+ Certified (alternatively, you can sit the 220-603 or the 220-604, but most don't).

I would recommend using more than one book if you can. The AIO Guide, and the A+ 'Passport' books are ideal. The AIO for initial studying, and then Passport for revising :biggrin

Gav

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^ plus the MCSA is out of your experience level so having a high level cert without the required experience can go against you when looking for a job.

Entry level certs are A+ N+ and MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yeap, what Gav said the 220-601 and (choose one: ) 220-602, 220-603 or the 220-604.

I agree with what GBL said about entry level certs.

Welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Bash

Bash Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks for welcoming me to the site :D

The responses above have given me a clearer indication on what my goals are, and so i appreciate it!

Does anyone know what the latest editions are for the all in one and the passport books?

thanks

6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

A+ Passport is on it's third edition and the AIO guide is on it's sixth.

7. Bash

Bash Bit Poster

thanks a lot gav, i'll have a look on amazon tomorrow.

also Does anyone know what career opportunities are available after being A+ certified?

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

1st line support, Trainee IT Technician, and other entry level positions like field service technician etc etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Bash

Bash Bit Poster

thanks again! will let you know how i get on.......

10. Islands On The Coast

Islands On The Coast New Member

Hi Bash

I am pretty much in the same boat as you (no hardware knowledge whatsoever). I have ordered the AIO and the A+ Passport and I am expecting them in the next couple of days.

I have managed to get my hands on an old work pc and monitor and am quite eager to get started. Much like yourself, it is sheer determination thats pushing me to learn and improve my future prospects despite my lack of experience in this field. I guess you got to start somewhere...

I was prepared to pay just under £1800 with Home Learning College until I found this site. I am not naive nor arrogant but I am 100% certain I will achieve these entry level certs through self study and with the help of the intelligent and experienced users on this brilliant site.

All the best.

Robert

WIP: A+ (Self Study)