Can anyone recommend any self study books for CompTIA A+?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by kvncooper, Nov 25, 2009.

1. kvncooper

kvncooper New Member

New register on the forum and thinking of self studying for CompTIA A+. I'm very driven so I don't see a reason to go down the private training school route (especially since I've just been quoted £6000 from Advent).

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of some quality self study material for the CompTIA A+. I've seen a few on amazon but I'm not 100% on what I should be buying.

I don't want to be studying outdated books.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If your going for the current 600 series exams you need compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles

If you are going for the 700 series exams which become the current version next year then you will need Mike Meyers 7th edition book when it is available and PC Technician street smarts.

Your right to turm down advent, that is a stupid price.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kvncooper

kvncooper New Member

Hmm, I hadn't even given this consideration. I would assume it would be best practice to study for the future version. If I study for the version as it is now, this could be old news by the time I get my cert.

Would you agree?

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

£6000 :ohmy and it's not even April 1st

My favourite book was the Sybex A+ book but people swear by Mike Myers A+ book.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

employers don't care what version of the exam you have so you might aswell get cracking now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. kvncooper

kvncooper New Member

But if I study for the 600 series and then the 700 series exams comes out... can I still take the 600? Or do I have to take the 700? In which case, if I have been studying for the 600, I won't be fully clued up will I?

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.