Can anybody confirm the following please...

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by surfthegecko, Jan 31, 2010.

1. surfthegecko

surfthegecko Bit Poster

Hi,

Im getting a little confused over IPSEC & RRAS. Am I right in thinking the following:

IPSEC - Is used to simulate a direct private connection between two computers whether they are on a private or across a public connection.

RRAS - Allows Remote Access via configurable levels of security, and utilises the IPSEC standards.

Many THanks

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

IPSec is a security protocol used to authenticate and encrypt traffic more can be found here

RRAS is a Server Role in both Server 2003 and Sever 2008. In Server 2003 RRAS can be used to allow Dial In, Demand Dialling, VPN, NAT and Routing services.

You use the RRAS Policicies in Server 2003 (NPS in Server 2008 ) to specify the tunnel type e.g. L2TP, PPTP, the encryption level e.g. MPPE 128Bit, Users or Groups who can access it etc.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. surfthegecko

surfthegecko Bit Poster

Thanks Craigie

I have been reading the linked article and this certainly helped clarify a few things, mainly the modes of operation.

I now understand that IPSEC is its own security protocol which uses various levels of Authentication, Encryption...

RRAS just happens to use the same Authentication/encryption methods etc.

I think before I was linking all the standards such as MD5, DH, CHAP etc to IPSEC and because RRAS also allows you to specify these standards assumed it was using IPSEC.

I think :eek:

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

IPsec (IP security) is a protocol that can be used to encrypt data on the wire. for example between your clients and servers.

Also, In windows it is often teamed up the the VPN tunneling protocol L2TP because L2TP doesnt have encrption built in. So you would normally see the combination written as L2TP/IPSec

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)