Can an NTFS partion read and write to a FAT Partion?

Discussion in 'Software' started by beaumontdvd, Jan 22, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone, sorry about the silly questions. Im studying through questions for the 272, Im not going to include the exact question.

But basically someone has xp pro and 98 in a dual boot config, xp is on D: (NTFS) an application is available logs on to both OS. when logged onto 98 the user cannot access files written by when she was logged onto XP. The app store files on the D: drive when logged onto xp? would changing the app settings to save it to c: work? if the user wants to access them both on 98 and XPPRO? So cant NTFS save to fat without the data beng corrupted basically? And can fat read the data witout and loss of data?

Hope someone can help,

Regards,
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Filesystem support is something built into the OS.

Windows 98 never suppported NTFS it supported two flavours of FAT, NTFS was an NT only filesystem at the time.

Thats why a vanilla Windows 98 install will not be able to access NTFS partitions by default.

Later all MS OS's would come with both NTFS and FAT32 support.

The different filesystem drivers don't write to each other.

Windows applications open OS file handles and use streams to read and write data.

Here you go :-

http://kadaitcha.cx/ntfs.html
    http://www.diskinternals.com/products/ntfs-reader/

General Info :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

At this point I'd say you possibly do need to dump the computrain stuff and get back to learning Computing 101 fundamentals. Like what is a file, a partition, a directory, a symbolic link, a file handle, a file stream, a disk sector, a disk cylinder, MBR, etc.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

XP can understand FAT and NTFS
    Windows 98 can only understand FAT.
    Therefore, XP can read/write to a FAT partition, but Windows 98 can't read, never mind write, to a NTFS partition.
    If you want data accessible by both OSs you need to have it on a FAT partition. You could reinstall XP on a FAT partition but Microsoft recommend installing XP on NTFS so the correct (MS) solution would be to move the data to a FAT partition (drive C: in this case)

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. beaumontdvd

Thanks thats what I was after, so basically xp on ntfs can read/write to c through applications: (98/FAT) so if I dragged a file say macro.doc from an ntfs partion onto a fat partion then windows 98 could read it?

Thanks again,

Repped

Dave

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Windows 98 can read NTFS partitions with custom third party drivers.

If you want things to interoperate you normally go for the lowest common denominator, in this case its the FAT 32 filesystem in general.

Since both OS's can read/write FAT32 it provides the best interop, however FAT32 was not as good a filesystem as NTFS so you will get all the associated disadvantages.

Normally such a dual boot system might be all FAT32 partitions if interop was important.

As it is you will have to use XP every time you want to access an NTFS partition and move the data to a FAT32 partition and then reboot into Win 98.

I still think you need to revisit fundamentals based on this conversation, certainly I would not pursue higher end certs.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  6. beaumontdvd

Yeah I think your right, thanks for the links i'll give them a good read tonight with a nice beer lol! The thing is I completed the computrain 272 online learning course through mindleaders in an hour, so It cant be in detail enough so purchased the mcdst bill ferguson book, which has really helped and I re-read 271 and 272. So I understand a lot more now. I think I may of just been getting confused because the previous questions were about converting fat to ntfs to install xp on to enable encryption and security permissions ect. Thanks again for your help! :p

Repped

Regards,
    Dave