1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Relatively Cold Starter do MCTS?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MistaTwist, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MistaTwist

MistaTwist New Member

Hi All,

After only being someone who wants to code and so does so by learning from web tutorials/reading blogs/hobby coding in VS2008, I've decided to actually try and get into the web dev field using asp.net and C#.

Now, my only concern is whether a "cold starter" can self-teach to get the MCTS or whether you actually need to be working in a dev role already to be able to take the course?

I'm using the cert as a carrot to making more time for coding, as I truly see myself moving into this career in the next couple of years, and also want the foot-in-door element on my CV for coding interviews.

Granted, I'll need to get all the basics down, but there's one thing I do know: I can always learn more, and love doing so :)

Anyway, cheers for any advice/tips/encouragement :)

Paul.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
    Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: MCTS
  2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

A maths degree, some general IT skills and being able to program well should land you a job, no certs are strictly necessary.

Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
  3. MistaTwist

MistaTwist New Member

Agreed, I think I just want to cover the basics in a comprehensive way, I mean, there are areas in which I have no knowledge, and assumed (dengerous I know!) that if I did one of these, or at least read up on it, that I'd cover the gaps off and thus become a better coder.

I recently went for an asp.net job, and as my c# was still being learnt at the time (like I say, VBA guy mostly), I messed up the code behind part of the test I sat as part of the interview. So with that in mind I'd like to get a comprehensive education in a technology I guess, rather than try and piece it together from the squillions of internet sources.

In short, it's the last of the 3 things you mention I'm working on ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
    Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: MCTS