Can a BT dial up connection be shared wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by redstar, Jul 18, 2009.

1. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

A m8 has a BT dial up connection on his desktop pc (xp home) but would like to use it wirelessly on his laptop(vista home) to. Broadband not available.

He's asked me to help him set it up but i've never attempted this before. I can set up a wireless broadband connection no bother though.

Is it possible to do? If so, how difficult is it to set up and what type of equipment should he purchase?

Any tips, advice ect would be a great help. Thanks

Certifications: None
  2. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I've never even thought about this never mind set it up, maybe a wireless access point plugged into the pc with the dial up connection, and internet connection sharing setup :scratch, wouldn't he be better buying a 3g usb dongle?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  3. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

That's what i said too but he wants to try it outta curiousity and to be honest i'm really curious/interested in helping him do it if it can be done.

Certifications: None
  4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

something like

install a pci wireless card on the machine, connect the laptop to the machine, bridge the wireless conection with dialup

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The way I would do it (not that I would, but you know what I mean :) ) would be as follows :-

Wireless Access Point, connected to a switch, which is also connected to the XP PC. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the PC, which would setup a rudimentry DHCP server and routing. Then connect the laptop to the WAP, and it would obtain an IP from the PC and would then have access to the Internet whilst the dialup connection was active.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Pick up an old Apple Aiport Extreme base station with a built in modem :D

7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Just use ICS with adhoc mode (just wifi adapters)

for security you need to use WPA2 as WPA doesn't support adhoc

(but yes you can also use a AP)

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

You may also like to look into a small proxy server, if they visit common sites, i am sure there's a opensource or freeware/shareware one about for windows.

There used to be a all-in-one product called wingate (www.wingate.com - Proxy Server / Firewall / Email server / Gateway Management Solution) which was more configurable i haven't used it for about 10 years

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots