Calling all old and crusty gamers!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Oct 17, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

The staple gaming diet of any self-confessed geek is surely the RPG, be it in video game form or being creepy and obsessive over little painted figurines and 12 billion sided dice.

I am excessively old and heartily remember with fondness the days when C64 and Spectrum video games cost 50p in boots bargain bin (and when 10 pounds was considered expensive for a 'full price' game). I also remember being a proud 8bit and 16bit generation kid, wasting away rainy school nights on my SNES and friends Game Boy.

Those who are incredibly old will already know the SNES was rather brilliant for RPG games. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are games that will forever be etched in history as some of the greatest games ever made.

How many of you remember the awesome Earthbound? Well, after 13 years (and 2 years following the blog) of waiting the sequel, called Mother 3 in Japan (Earthbound aka Mother 2 was called, err, Mother 2 in Japan) has finally been released today in English by a dedicated team of fan translators after Nintendo refused to release it outside of Japan.

For those excited about this, click the image in my sig. For those curious, click the image in my sig. For everyone else, click the image in my sig to read up on an extraordinary achievment that took 13 years to get here. Amazing stuff indeed.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

just downloaded the patch today :)
    mario rpgs already on the virtual console and chrono triggers coming out on the ds next month I think in the states. and it be the first time officially for europe to play it!
    took some hard graft but gladded they got it translated. I still dont know why nintendo still didnt release mother 3 in english.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Maybe they will now? I am sure this translation has not fallen under their radar.

At the end of the day, even though it is a bit 'piratey' it's Nintendo's fault for ignoring the past 13 years of petitions, fanmail and pestering generated by fans that even Miyamoto was quoted recognizing.

It would be great to see an official translation, but right now it is difficult to ignore the sheer scale of the accomplishment the fan translation team have put in to this awesome game. Plus all the extra stuff they have made like the fanbook that will be out in January etc.

Maybe they will tackle Dragon Quest IX next!!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA