Calling all Helpdesk/Desktop Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drivinginstructor, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

A+ is definitely not a waste of time, but from experience of working in support id prefer to get an employee to a proficient level with MS stuff first, so for me MCDST is a good choice to start with, personally id go for XP, and then do the upgrade exam to Vista in a years or so time, as most companies will still be using XP in most of there environments.

The A+ really wont give you the knowledge for this role, so I would make that your second certification to go for, then network+ is the logical step

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Highly, highly disagree. The A+ absolutely *can* be of use on a help desk... I'd say, even more so than the MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Depends on the type of helpdesk. If its purely software support, then MCDST, if both, then A+ and MCDST. Either way, both certs are very useful

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im just speaking from experience, im not quite sure how I said A+ wasnt any use, as thats not what I meant or would normally type, but i digress, the reasons why I think MCDST is more useful are below.

The majority of support ive dealt with support wise deals with Windows, and office, if you are more skilled in MS products and supporting them then you will do well, im not knocking the A+, its my 2nd recommended step for starting out, but if you are on a helpdesk then it is very likely you will never be involved in the physical side of things (such as printers and other peripherals) until you reach a first line level, then the A+ becomes more useful.

I think as well it does depends on the company and the type of helpdesk, but usually sitting at a desk all day talking to users and trying to diagnose faults or logging them for escalation you need to make your way around windows, it makes more sense to have the hardware done by 1st/2nd line as they are the ones that are mobile.

Of course in a small company you will need to be a jack of all trades, so its a toss up which will be best, but again typically you should learn enough to survive hardware wise (and use some common sense or the web), and then be able to survive when you will have most calls asking you how to use windows, or diagnose issues with windows.

I have to say in the last few years I havent had to replace much internal hardware, as the companies ive worked for use standard pcs, or thin client, if anything ive had more dealings with printers (and maybe laptops) on the hardware side, but 99.9% of calls involve Windows in some way.

For me knowing how to get an IP address from a command prompt is more useful to the majority of heldesks out there than say swapping a harddisk (unless that is your job, and if it is then you would already be able to do it).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Here it is lol swap the bolded around, it should say wont really, meaning not quite all you need to know.

6. BosonMichael

You said, and I quote,

That is what I disagree with. The A+ is useful in that it DOES give you knowledge for a help desk role.

Fine, that is your experience. I am speaking with regards to MANY help desk roles out there, not just what "I've dealt with".

...not if you encounter a hardware problem.

How so? Sorry, man, your advice has typically been on the mark, but you're *way* off, here. Help desk doesn't just deal with password resets and software troubleshooting... it also deals with hardware. The A+ covers BOTH hardware AND software. Thus, it's my *1st* recommended step for starting out.

(such as printers and other peripherals) until you reach a first line level, then the A+ becomes more useful.

And how does help desk NOT diagnose hardware faults? How do you manage a gig like that, where the "hardware calls" get routed one place, and the "software calls" get routed another place? :D That simply doesn't happen in most environments. :)

You also seem to think that the A+ is *just* hardware... that's a common misconception.

The last place I worked, we used standard Dell PCs. Guess how many failed hard drives and failed PSUs and popped caps and other assorted hardware calls the help desk got? Just because you work with "standard PCs" or "thin clients" doesn't eliminate the need for people who can diagnose hardware faults...

In addition to those help desk calls, guess how many calls didn't "involve Windows in some way"? Including lack of connectivity to the network (which wasn't a Windows problem), problems with applications (which ran on Windows, but the problem had nothing to do with Windows), or problems with e-mail (which, again, runs on Windows, but the problem had nothing to do with Windows)?

Sounds like you have very limited exposure with the multitude of different help desks out there. If you rarely deal with hardware issues, then I dare say you're in the minority... I dealt with them up to and including my days as a network admin. The stuff you learn on the A+ will help you at the very beginning of your career... and it'll help you when you've gained many years of experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. BosonMichael

Again, how do you get a gig where help desk doesn't deal with hardware issues? :D Most of the time, Joe User has no idea whether he's got a hardware or software problem.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Many users tell me that their hard drive isn’t working. I always wondered how they knew that was the problem without taking the cover off the PC, are they all geeks in disguise?

Nope, turns out they refer to the actual PC as a ‘hard drive’ :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BosonMichael

...or similarly, they refer to the monitor as "the computer". :D

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thats better than a user saying "the box thingy is making a noise, should it?" and then it turns out they are talking about the speakers anyway!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. Mr.Cheeks

There are "gigs" that the 1st line do not support (directly) any hardware, they literally just log the fault and send it off to another team. :D

12. BosonMichael

Then, in truth, that's not really even an IT job... that's a straight vanilla call center job.

But lets assume that that's the sort of job that they're pursuing. The A+ exam covers the sort of customer service skills that you need to know for that sort of job. Thus, my point stands.

13. Mr.Cheeks

It still is an IT job, as its purely software support. (Operating Systems, Application Support)
    ...and i never said that your point does not stand.
    all i said was

14. BosonMichael

If it's truly logging, and nothing more, then simply logging a fault isn't considered "software support" in my book. If you attempt to diagnose and/or fix the fault, then yeah, THAT is IT...

I never said you said my point doesn't stand. I am pointing that out to Kevicho that, based on what you mention, my point still stands. :)

15. Mr.Cheeks

edit:

Fair enough...

16. BosonMichael

So I guess you consider a janitor who works in a hospital to be part of the surgical staff as well? :rolleyes:

He/she's got an important job... it's just not considered "surgery".

17. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ill not recorrect my typo word mix up, my point is nowadays hardware is cheap so usually replaced base units (where i personally bring back for diagnosis, others may throw them), in the last 2 years ive been working for the NHS, a council and a SMB, so i think thats a reasonable mix of companies, and the majority of calls for all three of these were Microsoft related.

The NHS role did have reasonable amount of hardware installs (such as setting up a printer, or new pc unit, but most of the software was configured), but this was seasonal (ie towards the end of the year when they needed to spend the budget).

The Councils again, mostly software with on site engineers due to the differing locations, to get to on site engineer level you had to progress through helpdesk/1st line, so the hardware side was again shielded.

The SMB was citrix based so this was different in its entirety, (and most newbies wouldnt be let loose in this environment) but again the only hardware were laptops and printers.

Im not at all saying A+ shouldnt be obtained while working on a service desk, I just personally think that the MCSDT will get you off to a little bit of a quicker start and also some employers might be more familiar with Microsoft than the A+/Comptia line.

Also the MCDST is cheaper to complete and gives you access to the MCP website, so 2 more little things there.

Doesnt the MCDST also cover diagnostic skills?

Ideally if anything I suppose a good idea is to keep an eye on the local job sites, and see which qualifications they are asking for, then that way you will be able to decide for yourself.

18. BosonMichael

Yes... hardware is cheap... but if you can't recognize that there's a hardware problem in the first place, you won't know to replace the hardware. Don't scoff, thinking that's not possible if you've got the MCDST - in the past, I've known MCSEs without the A+ who don't know how to properly diagnose hardware, or even replace a hard drive.

Oh, yeah, a veritable treasure trove of information. :rolleyes::biggrin

It does... with regards to operating systems and applications. But very little (if any) hardware or customer-service questions which are found in abundance on the A+.

19. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Havn't hit it in the study book yet - but I doubt it appears.

*gives BM a little gold star*

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  20. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I have had customers tell me their 'CPU' is not working, turns out they refer to the actual PC. I have heard 'hard drive' used too.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation