Calling All Excel Gurus!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by nXPLOSi, May 3, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Guys,

Got a problem with excel, I have a list of numbers in column A, 2500 of them. I need to add quotation marks to the start and end of each of these numbers.

I cant seem to find any way of doing this, am I missing something?

Any help will be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I seem to have a vague memory that you have to change the column to text format before you can do this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What I'd do would be to insert a column before the one with the numbers, then add a quote in the top row, copy it down, add a quote in the top row of column C & copy that down, then concatenate the cells

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

nXPLOSi,

Questions:
    1. What are the units for the numbers in column A?
    2. Why is it a problem that the numbers are in their current format?
    3. Is another program going to extract or transport the data from the .xls file to some other program or data file?
    4. Why do you think adding quotes in front and back of the data will solve the problem?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thank you guys for the replies, I managed to sort it using a Macro in the end.

It was just a request from my boss and completely threw me, I thought it should have been easy but I couldnt get my head straight.

Thanks again guys :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012