Call center experiance advice (not my area)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by supernova, Jun 6, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have a chap that our charity is helping who really wants to eventually work in helpdesk after a long period of illness.

At the moment he lacks confidence on the phone we are helping him but can only do so much as we dont really have the facilities of that scale in house.

Therefore, we are looking to get him some experience in a call centre so he can build his confidence and learn basic scripts, call elevation and using call logging systems etc

What i am really struggling with is suggesting how to get this experience and where to look.

I am thinking of suggesting volunteering maybe along side a course, however, I am unsure if we'll be able to find anything suitable on the volunteering side of things.

I personally have never worked in a call center so i am struggling to make suggestions and offer points of contact.

Therefore, i am wondering if any of you could offer any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

Hmm this could be a tricky one as you have no points of contact. As he is not very confident and has no experience, I think this is going to be difficult going about it the "job hunting" way.

All I cant really suggest is emailing large companies and asking for work experience (paid or unpaid) for a while then possibly if they are happy, going at it the job hunting way.

Certifications: BND: ICT | MCDST | MCP
    WIP: MCSA | MCSE
  3. Len

Len Byte Poster

On the volunteering side of things, are there any positions such as receptionist, or admin assistant type stuff open? In these roles there is usually abit of picking up the telephone and answering simple enquires? I know where this guy is coming from since I don't ever feel comfortable picking up the phone outside of my own house. and thats how I would prefer it.. though everyone is different of course!

I understand there probably won't be any basic scripts, and its not really *IT* based, but I think its a start until he can find something that does involve IT.. and ui'm sure there would be times where he could have to transfer calls to someone ;/

I'm pretty sure this experience would help boost his confidence enough to be on a helpdesk..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+