California state computers can't handle pay cut, controller says

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

California state computers can't handle pay cut, controller says

If Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to issue minimum-wage checks to 200,000 state workers in less than a month, he may want to rehire any semi-retired computer programmers he terminated last week.

The massive pay cut would exhaust the state's antiquated payroll system, which is built on a Vietnam-era computer language so outdated that many college students don't even bother to learn it anymore.

Democratic state Controller John Chiang said Monday it would take at least six months to reconfigure the state's payroll system to issue blanket checks at the federal minimum wage of $6.55 per hour, though Schwarzenegger insists such a change should occur this month.

Experts say Chiang isn't joking when he describes the state's payroll system as a computing relic on par with vacuum tubes and floppy disks.

Read the whole story here, if you're a COBOL programmer and want a job in CAL, US - now may be your chance, lol :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Or, we can just cut California loose, and let it float away into the Pacific. :thumbleft
    2. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      I thought it already had......

Harry (running away)
    3. twizzle
      twizzle
      isnt that what the Rockies are for? Seperate Claifornia fro the rest of the States? Anyway with teh amount of "Free Spirits" or Hippies there surley theres someone still stuck in teh 60's who could use the programming language?
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      We don't necessarily want to lose Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, or Washington... just California.
    5. fortch
      fortch
      HEY!

Someone throw me a line then!
    6. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      You had your chance to get out... :D Not our fault you chose to live there! ;)