Cached mode

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Ally, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Quick question; when setting up outlook to connect to an exchange server i realise that its almost always best to tick the 'Use cached exchange mode' for better performance, junk mail features, keeping a local copy on the hard drive (.ost) etc but can anyone tell me when i should clear this? I heard someone mention in work the other day about clearing this is using a laptop? Is this correct and if so why?
    Any information appreciated

Thanks

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

quite the opposite. having a laptop (and assumingly taking it on the road) is one of the reasons why cached mode is such a good solution, because it allows you to take your mailbox with you, offline. a desktop with a continuous connection to the exchange server doesn't necessarily need an offline mailbox, although it is still recommended to use cached mode on a desktop.

3. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Yes i can understand what you are saying, using cached mode for a laptop is imperative for accessing your mailbox offline but i would also think that its better in terms of reducing network traffic if a desktop is configured to use this setting also. Also you can still access your mailbox if (or should i say when) your exchange server decides to stop functioning for what ever reason!! I would probably be inclined to use cached mode in both these scenarios, or do you think otherwise?
    Thanks for the reply :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

exactly. cached mode will help reduce traffic, which can be especially useful if you are in a "hub and spokes" scenario: a big mail server on a central location, and your users accessing their mailboxes from remote locations (with sometimes slow connections).

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If the users log on at different PCs each day I wouldn’t recommend it if they have large mailboxes. It’ll take a while to set up the local cached copy of the mailbox whereas if you don’t check ‘used cached mode’ you can get straight into the mailbox. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs