1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

One of my mates is getting a new pc, and wants me to set up the OS etc. Its got a cable connection, is there any difference to the setup of this compared to broadband coz ive never set up cable before. Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

its the same things, my friend bought a new pc (xp with sp2 pre-installed) and hooked the modem into the pc and it picked it up.. opened IE and worked fine... no configuration required.

3. Raffaz

Excellent i like the sound of that, cheers

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Raffaz,

First, let's iron out some terminology. Just like Great Britain and United States are part of the group called "countries", so is DSL and Cable part of the group called "broadband."

Second, are you going to setup the cable modem for your mate or is your mate's internet service provider going to set it up for you? If you're going to setup the cable modem, then here's how to do it. Connect the coaxial cable from the wall to the cable port on the cable modem using finger tightness of the f-connector onto the cable modem. You really don't need a wrench to install the coaxial cable onto the cable modem. Then connect an appropriate cable to the cable modem's "network" or LAN port.

Third, can your mate get a Cable router to help with security? If a computer is plugged directly into the cable modem, then his computer can be infected by viruses, adware, spyware, and other electronic security problems faster than dialup. Try to find a router that has a DHCP server feature to it. If your mate gets a cable router, then follow the instructions included with the cable router to connect the router to the cable modem and the cable router to the computer. If your mate believes in ignorance, then at least convince him to get firewall software and antivirus software and install them BEFORE connecting the computer to the network. If your mate strongly believes in ignorance, then ask your mate how much his new PC cost and tell him that he might need to pay that much to fix the computer later. Also, let your mate figure out how to connect the cable modem directly to the computer.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Mr.Cheeks

ignorance is definately the keyword here

6. Raffaz

dont know their exact setup, but they have just got rid of one pc and their new one is coming tomorrow so the cable is already in place from previous installation. Not sure if they have a router, and theres no point in me askin coz they arent very clued up when it comes to pcs lol. Il find out and advise when i go down there

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

what u need to do is install the CD software the modem came with...whether its NTL or Telewest...cos its a new PC u will need to install the bits needed...after I upgraded my machine, I had to install the Blueyonder/Telewest CD into the machine so I could connect to the internet again...it didnt take long...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Thats what i would of thought - went i hooked the modem to the pc, it picked it up, and self installed, so just by chance, i thought if i double click IE, would it work, and yes it did, and thats without the need of the telewest cd

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

some computers do pick up the settings automatically, but others need to have the stuff installed...I guess with mine its cos I had to isntall the ethernet drivers for me ethernet port on me new mobo and thats what did it...

10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I guess it depends on whether the modem is connected to the PC via USB or Ethernet. The Ethernet connection shouldn't require much, if any, configuration. Connections via USB will need drivers installed and the like.

As for RH Lee's advice on software firewalls, that would go for a direct DSL connection as well. The only reason a router in between the PC and modem would be more secure is because (domestic) routers tend to have firewalls built in.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Telewest and Ntl (One company now ntl:Telewest) give you Ethernet modems as standard which have DHCP set up on them, what this means is you just plug the ethernet cable in and away you go.

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

One word of advice do not use the installation CD that NTL/Telewest give you, it creates a lot of problems, you are better of configuring the connection manually.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well not for me...the only snag for me is when it stops at the whole setting up DHCP thing...but then I just quit it, reboot me machine, unplug and plug the modem back in and am sorted...but I have not had any big problems...

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This is exactly what my brother said to the <NTL man> when he installed the cable; <i don't want you on my machine thanks all the same :biggrin >

As for the router, yes, if you have a Public address on your default connection get a router inbetween ASAP.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

LOL, I had NTL installed when I was at uni back in 1999 and they weren't allowed to touch my PC back then in case it did go wrong and I sued them.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270