Cable Tidy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I am cable tidying my insides, but the only way to provide better flow of air is for the ide cables to get strapped up against my hdd... would that affect my hdd in any way?

2. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

It will not affect the hdd. But depending on the drive and cable type, data transfer rates can be affected by the condition of the cable, for example sharp kinks can degrade performance. Ocassionally the position of the cable in the case can affect performance as well.

Basically, keep the cables tidy without kinking the cables. Avoid too much twisting or pinching and you should be fine.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Cheers mate...

4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

You got flat IDE cables or have you considered the round cables? Made a difference to my case temps.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  5. Mr.Cheeks

flat as a pancake mate

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO round cables are techicaly inferior to flat ones.

IDE 80 is engineered to be flat. If you curl them then the cross-talk can increase!

Harry (the contrary)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Mr.Cheeks

im not sure what cross talk is, but i have folding them over and taped the bugger to the hdd... the cables are kinda moved out the way, and it is quietier which is what i wanted

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Harry,

I wouldn't dare question your knowledge, but coming from an Auto electrical background i was always taught that twisting wires together reduced crosstalk?!

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<Grin> - True. But this is putting a twist in two wires that are 'balanced'. If you do this right then cross-talk and interference are reduced. This is how CAT5 works for example.

But you aren't doing this when you curl up a flat 80 cable, and the flat 80 isn't a 'balanced' system. With a round cable random wires lie parallel to other random wires - there is usualy no twist.

If you get a chance find a 'Ultra' SCSI cable. The individual pairs are twisted. Looks weird when you first see one.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Harry,

Spot on as usual. Thanks. Si (a chicken Jalfezzi and few bottles of becks :biggrin )

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT