C.V. Critique Pleeeeease

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Stuzzle, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Well, after failing miserably for the last 8 months to get my first position, and after reading Craigie's inspiring post, it's time to get my ass in gear :D, starting with the ol' de facto "How does my CV look?" post

Out of stupid paranoia I have censored much of the personal info such as name, address, locations etc, but the CV content and layout still remains as it currently is.

To answer this question before it pops up, I am looking for 1st line helpdesk work, although wouldn't say No to a junior engineer job in a repair shop if it cropped up again

Thank you for any responses in advance :)

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

OK so I'm a bit ‘new’ here but as a hypothetical prospective employer, I'll give you my feedback.

First the good news. The layout IMHO is great. Clean, neat, no spelling mistakes. I'd have to say this is good, no great.

Now the bad news, the content. You want an entry level IT position? What can you do that interests me (the employer) to give you that position? The first thing I see is that you want 'Entry level I.T position with opportunities for learning and advancement'. What are you prepared to give back for that? First off it needs 'humanising' and not a cold statement. Something like 'I'm seeking an entry level IT position where I can show my abilities in xxx, xxx and xxx that will also allow me scope to learn new skills and be able to advance my career if the opportunity arises.'

Next your skill summary. Specify the Windows versions you have worked with and what you have done. Have you installed and configured a modem? Can you restore Windows if some system files are missing? I as an employer have no idea what you are capable of. Same with building PCs. What have you done here? Have you specced, purchased and assembled PCs? What problems did you come across and how did you overcome them? You don't need to write a novel but a few bullet points here of what you have done will give a feel of what you can do. I think your explanation of the A+ cert from your Hobbies and Interests should be placed here, it ties up neatly with what kind of position you're seeking and informs the reader of what the A+ is should he or she not know.

Your employment details read like a job description. Again I can't see anything that makes you stand out enough to give you an interview. You've had a lot of experience in customer service therefore you should be highlighting any successes you've had here in doing your duties especially if you've gone beyond the call of duty to ensure a report gets finished or a customer helped with a difficult query. Employers like to see this sort of thing as we see hundreds of CVs that say the same thing.

Your education. Woah! Where did this CIW cert come from? You don't mention any interest in web design ANYWHERE else in your CV, not even in your hobbies section? Either capitalise on it and give details of why you've passed this cert because you're interested in it or were required to do it as part of your employment (and give evidence in your skills section) or take it out.

Your hobbies section is the only part of the whole CV where I actually see a part of your personality. Shame it’s a section that has little bearing on whether you get an interview or not. Yes it’s nice to see what kind of person you are but the one question an employer will be asking is 'what can this person do or add value for the business?' I would like to see this extended to the rest of the CV.

Sorry if I've been a bit blunt here, I'm cranky today I'm afraid! :x Your CV does need some work in that you need to highlight your achievements and show what you are capable of.

Certifications: MCSE NT4, ITIL v2
    WIP: CCA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Pleased I motivated you Stuzzle, I think there is a copy of my old CV lurking around in Employment & Jobs if that helps mate.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

this is funny because i downloaded your cv yesterday, got me thinking about updating and cleaning up mine

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Thank you for the feedback DFV. It is often good to get a different viewpoint on things, to let one know when they aren't thinking in the right mindset.

I have taken the comments in mind and amended my CV now to try and make it both more appealing to an employer and also to make it more personal and not cold and generic.

Any further feedback from people is welcome :)

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  6. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

IMO:

I would put more emphasis on technical ability, what have you worked on what are you competent on and what stands you out from the crowd. your employment history states customer services not tech knowledge - did yo unot do anything IT related? Can you not add that?

I would remove the lines it breaks the page up and does not 'flow'
    Bullet point your experiance, they want to know what you can do (and do for them)
    Change the font to times new roman - easier to read.

I would remove the paragraph "• I recently started study for a Comptia A+ certification, a certification designed to demonstrate c.................." I am sure the person reading the CV knows what Comptia A+ is and it sounds like your telling them to suck eggs.

Finally make sure your cover letter is personal, make it stand out make it so the person reading it wants to meet the person who wrote the letter!?!

if it was me i would remove hobbies and interests - or just put IT then they will think your a geek and all employers like geeks as they will always keep up to date with technologies; not waste time playing games :P)

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I preferred the first layout as it was easier to scan through, although removing the CIW logo was a good move.

I'd also remove 'Curriculum Vitae' from the top - when it lands on an HR person's desk they know what it is.
    The most important thing is that your name is prominant so when they're shuffling through a stack of them they can find it...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

Hi Stuzzle

I think your second version is much better. Not too wordy too which is also a good thing. Just watch the spelling of License in your ECDL section!

As others have said bullet points highlighting your experience and skills is good but in your case you are searching for your first IT position so you have a lack of IT experience which isn't a crime. So uou have to point out your potential and show experience in the skills which will help you, of which you have plenty on the customer service side.

Wish you all the best!

Certifications: MCSE NT4, ITIL v2
    WIP: CCA
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hope it helped mate.

I have rejigged it a bit agani to reflect my new job role.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5