C.V. advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Badger, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Badger

Badger New Member

Hi guys,

Here's the situation:

Now i've got my MCSA I've started to actively look for work in IT. The trouble is I'm not really sure how to 'lay out' my CV. I've been in continuous employment for 10 years now with the same company so as you can imagine, my most up to date CV has a nice 'early 90's' feel to it!

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to construct a modern looking CV, and also where to put my Microsoft logo's etc.

Cheers,

Damian.

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Damian,

Monster.co.uk have some great resources, the link below should help.

http://content.monster.co.uk/Job_hunting/articles2/cv_prep/

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Badger

Badger New Member

Thanks, i'll check it out.

Damian

4. Mark

Mark Bit Poster

I would seriously consider getting it done professionally.

I've been applying for jobs now with my own CV for over 8 months and most don't even reply.
    I've stopped applying for jobs at the moment as it only discourages my studying.
    I've got 2 more MCP's to do to get my MCSE and then I'm gonna fork out the £50 and get it done properly.

You could look here for advice

http://www.cvcl.co.uk/

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA+M, MCSE:2000
  5. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Damian

I would advise you to keep it simple! Keep everything evenly spaced and keep any logos small and probably at the top of the document alongside your personal details.

As for your employment history, I would advise aiming to enter more details into the section of your current role than the others and aim to show a progression either in this role or talk about how you have progressed in your studies in your Personal Profile section. I think being in the same place for 10 years could work for you rather than against you as it shows loyalty - however, I would ensure that your cover letter clearly states why you are now looking for another position so as not to leave the reader with any questions.

Personally I am unsure about professional CVs as they are often created using similar layouts and wording and so may be easy to spot - this is just my experience of them anyway.

I am currently involved in helping with CV writing for some of our learners so if you are interested I could email you some templates/sample CVs if that would help.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  6. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Have a look here. This site has some example CV "templates" on it and includes advice that deals with people who have had the same job for some time.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member