c# graduate developer job interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ChaBeezy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ChaBeezy

ChaBeezy New Member

Hello All!

I have an interview for a c# graduate developer job on Friday. I don't have any experience with C#, but have lots with other programming languages. The company I'm having the interview know I don't have any experience with c# and say its not a problem, they care more about the whole package and ability to learn, motivation etc..

However they did say there would be some general technical questions and I'm just looking to get peoples thoughts. Are these likely to just be about OO programming or ..? I'm a bit of a loose end of to what to look into to prepare for this.

Thanks

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There is no such thing as a 'standard' interview in my experience.

However there is much advice online on both general interview skills and on technical interviews for programmers.

First make sure you get the personal stuff right, learn about the company, know how to sell your strengths answer 'why you want to work here?' usual type questions. Most importantly, BE NICE!

Technical stuff lot harder to prepare for as they could ask you anything, easier for you in some ways as fresh from college so stuff should be fresh in your mind and you've got less years of stuff they could ask you about from your CV.

Sorts of technical questions can vary a lot, typical things can be :-

Basic SQL
    Language syntax of either their preferred language or your preferred language.
    Object Orientated Design / Design patterns
    Algorithms and Data-structures
    Logic tests / Puzzles / Maths tests
    Basic networking
    Debugging / troubleshooting
    Framework / OS knowledge
    Development methodologies / processes / approaches
    Packaging and Deployment

Basically anything a developer could be expected to know, language syntax and OO design probably most common questions overall.

The test can be verbal, written or a mixture of both. In some cases there may be interaction round a whiteboard or a piece of paper. Written tests often involve describing what is wrong with a code fragment or what lines need to be added to fix it. Whiteboard exercises often revolve around design.

Sometimes you may even be asked to code something up on computer, but this is rare in actual interviews. Its more normal for simulated coding exercises to be pre-interview on-line tests or small assignments that you bring in to talk over.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/ has lots good general advice about such issues.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When I went for a programming job, I was asked to do this.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The most important thing is to be honest and be yourself.

If you are fresh out of Uni they aren't going to expect you to have loads of experience.
    They'll probably have a pretty good idea about what your degree covered and will be aware that these courses are often woefully poor at delivering real world experience.

Try not to worry too much about the skills you don't have yet. Chances are the other candidates will be in the same boat. So hopefully they'll give you plenty of opportunity to talk about yourself and why you'd be good for the job.

I have had graduates turn up for interviews and quite happily admit that they didn't know the answer to a particular question, or hadn't covered a particular topic. Didn't stop them getting a job. Often it's about how you answer the question, rather than the answer that you give! :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. ChaBeezy

ChaBeezy New Member

Thanks guys,

I've done a lot of research about the company and have a lot of answers prepared for the typical competency based questions you tend to get at interview. Just need to brush up on my OO programming!

I'm really excited for the interview and desperately want the job, I hope I can convey this in the interview without looking like I'm blowing smoke up their asses.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck mate :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

When i got my programming role i was asked to come in and spend two training days with a senior developer.

I got the job.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  8. nsp

nsp New Member

hmmm congratulations