buying xp pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by adrian, Jun 23, 2010.

1. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

does anyone know where i can buy a copy for a reasonable price? as in the full product, licence and media (1 computer)

Iv looked around and all i can find is upgrades and a full product that costs £170!! thats like release price, its 2 versions old now surely the price has dropped significantly?

Certifications: A+ N+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The price has actually gone back up, not surprising really, limited availability means those that have got a few copies left can charge a premium for them.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why not just buy Win 7 ?

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thats the decision we came to as a company, any new machines will be Win7 (or linux actually depending). All our licenses are OEM so Win XP dies with the hardware its sat on.

5. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

I dont want windows 7 because I dont see the point in it for my purposes. I want to move to Linux but want windows there as a comfort blanket until I am fully happy with linux...I long ago lost my xp disk and key and If i format and partition my hdd for duel booting then i will no longer have windows to run to if I have issues with linux. I know these days its quite user friendly what with ubuntu and that but I want to be able to just boot xp and do what I want in the cases where i cant do it on linux and dont have the time to find the solution.

Also, xp is a perfectly good os that doesnt eat the system resources that vista or 7 does - I had hoped that xp would be a reasonable price as i only want it as a backup, theres no way im paying more than £50 for it and im certanly not going to pay £170 for windows 7 (or however much it costs).

dunno what ill do now - I might just take the plunge and go full linux without the saftey net

6. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not get an OEM version. Your supposed to buy hardware to buy an OEM version so buy a USB flash drive and XP pro will cost about £100 or there abouts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

9. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

This is kind of a shop I would never consider buying from

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What Luke said. They don't even have a land line, just a mobile number. If it looks to good to be true, it usually is. I'd avoid if I were you.

p.s. They also have no address listed when when you do a whois lookup on the domain.

edit: Does it have to be XP Pro? Amazon have a copy of XP Home SP3 oem for £73.61.

That one is supplied by Amazon themselves, but watch out for private sellers on there. Looks like there are some pirate copies being sent out by some people.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

well i guess i could use home but 70 is still too much - ill just jump right into linux and to hell with it :P

13. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Are you able to get the license key using software then borrow and xp disk to use to install

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In all honesty I would probably just go for a Standard Technet Subscription for £134, that way you have access to not just the XP media but also pretty much everything MS has to offer.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'd suggest the same for your purposes, although I think your "fear" of 7 is entirely unfounded. My home hardware is now 5 years old and I saw no noticeable performance change between XP and Win 7, but I digress.

The technet subscription allows access to a whole wealth of useful stuff and is worth every tech who works in an MS environments cash imho.