Buying server for practice

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Paul_o, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

i am soon starting a training course for network support and i am thinking of buying a used server to play about on and hopefully learn something before the course, also i am sure it will be usefull in the future. looking on ebay there are two that i am interested in, one is a compaq proliant ml370 server with a pentium 3 666 mhz cpu 256 meg memory and one is a compaq Proliant 800 Server which has a pentium 2 450 mhz cpu 392 meg memory. would the proliant 800 be noticibly slower than the ml370? is there any other reason to pick one rather than the other. item numbers are 160000670588 and 180000697492

Paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If its only for playing with why not use a PC? :blink

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Paul,

It depends if you want to *get familiar* with the hardware as well as the Server OS. Personally, just bought 2 tower systems;

1.7 ghz
    512 RAM
    20 Gb HD

and they run 2003 Server perfectly with some trimmings too. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

normal PC's (1ghz (maybe 900mhz) 256mb) that will make server 2003 run perfectly. In fact im running server on about 200mb at times (vmware).

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You might want to look into putting the money towards a better PC by beefing up your RAM and getting VMWare. Then you can have as many servers as you like.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice, as i am on a limited budget i thought if i could get one of these servers i could also as boyce says get used to the hardware too, also i have never used scsi devices so there is that aspect aswell. i have put a bid in for one of them and will see what happens. if not i shall look into getting a normal base unit. is server 2003 available as a demo version? as the next step will be getting some software for it.

Paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  7. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Paul,

Depending on your Cert/Career path you might want to invest in an Actionpack from MS. I bought one to help me on my MCSE path....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you got a linky for this boyce im interested too...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh mate you will *love* the Action Pack, it is pricy but very good value for money IMHO 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

£199 Pricey?

We run an office/server off it so I think its a steal.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

zimbo, first you need to become a registered partner. Then you log into the partner.microsoft.com site and somewhere on the page there will be a link explaining how to get it. the only requirements as far as I know are that you have at least one mcp and you sign 'your IT company' up as a MS partner.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It seems a lot more expensive here because of the exchange rate and the much lower salaries :(

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would buy the servers if you have the space to set them up. I have four servers and a couple of PCs in my office (which is now a server room!) which is great for setting up test labs. I think Virtual PCs\Servers are great but you can pick up some extra skills by configuring an actual server.

For example one of the servers has hot-swappable RAID 5, 3 PSUs and a DLT drive which can’t really be replicated on a virtual server.

P.S The Action Pack rocks but MS seems to change what’s in it which is causing problems when I try and sell it to a client. Tech net subscriptions are also cool, just been sent a beta version of ISA 2006, if only I had the time to install it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs