Buying and Selling Second Hand books - good site

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Wasn't sure where else to put this.

Basically, on the site, every book that is for sale, is for sale at a price of £3.75.

Every standard sized book is shipped for 'free' - larger hardback books etc can have a higher postage markup, but only for the cost of the postage itself.

£3.00 goes to the seller; 5p per sale goes to the Woodland trust. The rest - well, it's a business. But it seems like a good way of putting your books up for sale, and getting some good bargains too (had a brief gander, there are Cisco books, engineering maths, programming... okay, so they're not all brand new - but for £3.75, who cares!!)

www.greenmetropolis.com

If you want to "get rid" of some old books, you can list them on the site, for free, just using the ISBN.

It's not an auction - when someone wants the book, they will buy it, simple as.

The £3.00 from the site covers the 'free' postage element (will cost you about £1.00 to post a standard paperback book) so whilst it's "slim pickings" it's more than it would make on your shelf - and it seems like a lot less hassle than eBay is these days!

For heavier books, you can add on postage, so you're not out of pocket.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nice! I wonder if there's something similar for the US folks...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just a note, you could have put the thread in the Sales and Swaps forum. No harm in leaving it here, though. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

For several years I've been using a fantastic website called Bublos which is great for finding new and used books across the globe.

Nice find by the way Arroryn! :salut

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Great find, I literally have around 100 books in the loft at the moment gathering dust.

Think I will give it a whirl, thanks Arroryn

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hi thanks for reference, seems a useful site. My used books usually go straight to the local charity shop, though for IT books I think it would be good if there was an exchange of some sort for this category, though I don't see a category for this on the Green Metropolis site - though maybe they'll add one as they get in more IT books.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA