Buying a Mac

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phoenix, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well, i have been sitting on the fence here for a while, ever since Mac OS X came out really (built upon BSD/Unix) friends have gone off and gotten PowerBooks and iBooks, but i never really saw the need to spend over a grand on something to play with

finally the turning point for apple has come with the introduction of the Minimac, a 6.5" x 6.5" x 2" complete mac system, with upgradable memory, hard disk, superdrive, wireless, bluetooth etc, comes with a radeon 9200 32mb graphics card, all for under 400 quid,
    it comes with no monitor keyboard or mouse, but the target audience already have those, they have spent years reeling in PC users with the elegance of the iPod, this will cause many more to actually buy a Mac computer and experiance Mac OS X

buying one at that sort of price was definatly an easy decision, it looks gorgeous, and is very affordable

Im off to the apple store tomorrow to place an order :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is the end of our friendship right here Phoenix. [​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

now now, id expect more of an open mind from a linux monkey such as yourself nug :)
    OS X is built on Unix, has some of its major components open sourced, and all works seamlessly together
    gone are the days of AppleTalk and 2 grand worth of kit :)
    we now have TCP/IP, blistering graphical performance, high end kit, support for games, all the unix command line power, much easier to port apps that are already written for unix

oh, and it looks great ;)

4. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

Couldn't agree more Phoenix.

Nothing has ever tempted me to buy a mac before until I saw these new Minimac's this morning. The price is superb, especially considering Apple's usual pricing policy, and I can see it definately growing the Mac user base. Never going to rival the PC in terms of sales but I can see this putting a minor dent in PC sales when folk see the price.

Unfortunately I can't afford it at the moment but I think when (if!) I get some spare cash I'll be tempted to try it out. Of course it wouldn't replace my PC but it would be nice to have in addition to it.

Cheers,
    Derek.

WIP: A+
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Wow, pretty cool I must say. More info here for anyone interested

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm glad you know I'm kidding.:hug

They do look nice though. I take it you'll be wanting the 1.42 GHz with 80GB version then?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

hehe yes
    but gave me an excuse to go into more details for those who didnt see the announcements (plasted over every tech news site this side of jupiter, and the apple shop has been grinding to a halt the last 24h)

ofcourse, 1.42Ghz, 80GB drive, SuperDrive, 512mb ram (will upgrade myself when i can afford more)
    gonna get wireless and bluetooth at a later date, just take the box into the apple store, hardly a challenge considering its size
    might have to toy with the idea of setting up a beowulf cluster! :D

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I might oooh and aaah at that, if I knew what that was.:hhhmmm