Buying a CCNA practise kit!

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by mpackham, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mpackham

mpackham New Member

Hi everyone!

This is my first post so hello to you all!
    im shall be shortly starting work for my ccna,so I am looking to setup my own cisco lab,I may have the oppurtunity to buy 3 routers(2520,2501,2503)with all the necessary cables for about £250
    my first question is are these routers sufficient for the job and if so is this a good price?

thank you for now!

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

unless the course has changed that much that should be fine
    check they all have ethernet connectivity, and atleast two have serial connectivity, the different 250x models have different fixed port configs and i cant for the life of me remember them all, one of them likley has ISDN or Token Ring, neither are much use to you, so make sure you have ethernet and serial :)

price sounds right, might be worth looking on ebay for similar offers and comparing prices

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. mpackham

mpackham New Member

thanks for that pheonix!ive checked and they all have at least 2 serial and 1 ethernet!
    think Ill give it go!

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

5. anandsoft

anandsoft Bit Poster

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd have to echo Phoenix's comments. That looks to be about the right equipment unless Cisco has upgraded since I got my CCNA a couple of years ago. What online or print material are you going to be using to study for your CCNA?

BTW, Welcome to CF, mpackham. You might want to take a moment if you haven't already done so and pop up to the New Members Forum an tell us a bit about yourself.

Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. mpackham

mpackham New Member

hi people!

thanks for all your advice!I now have my routers (well 4 of them infact) 2*2501,2503,2520 all with 16/16 memory and the necesary cables!
    As for coursework I have a couple of old networking academy books semesters 1-4(I originally did this course 3 years ago!left after the 2nd semester along with a few other people after becoming frustrated about the lack of hands on labs,and the general teaching standards of the tutors!One of which was only a semester in front of us!)I know they have changed the exam since then but i think these should still be okay but im looking to buy another book,not sure which one though,Im sure you will help me on this.
    I may yet sign up for the boot camp weekend in milton keynes,this is the one ciscosam went on! At least the instructors know what they are doing!

Okay must dash i will try and pay a visit to that new members thingy and introduce myself properly in the next few days!.....promise

thanks for the advice ! :D

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to supplement your study materials with a text that contains information you'll likely need for the current exam. Try this one for size.

Certifications: A+ and Network+