Buy online or from a local store

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Nov 18, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was speaking with a guy at work who has built several machines before.
    I said I'll probably order my parts online.He said, why don't you go to the local PC store.He said I'll save on packaging and delivery, which apparently is quite expensive when ordering online.

Do you think it works out easier, buying at a lcoal store.Although it may be a little more expensive, your saving on delivery costs, and you can take back parts and speak to somebody in person, if something goes wrong with the hardware.

I don't want to walk into a store, and have some salesman telling me what I need though.
    Maybe if I list out what I desire, and costs it out on the internet.
    Then take this with me to the local store, and compare it.

Generally how much am I looking at, to have all my PC parts delivered from an online store (providing I buy all parts from the same place).

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Can't speak from experience about the delivery time flex, but I generally prefer to go to the shop and pick up the parts myself. Also if you go with a list of what you want you don't ususally get the salesman trying to sell you stuff. They usually only do that if you walk in with a question like 'which mobo would you recommend'.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I always shop online for parts.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yup i prefur online, people in stores for the most part dont have a clue, dont stock the variety of quality components, they just stock any old crap thats cheap (for the most part, this is not the rule)

the majority of online stores have a wider variety, delivery is **** all, think its 8 pound for next day deliv with OC, provided you didnt just by a 20kg monitor
    lol, sure its pricey when you want one item, good if your buying a whole system
    returns are not that complicated, but above all you dont have to deal with idiots

ofcourse thats my opinion :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I nearly always shop on-line for hardware. Mainly due to the wider choice of options of available products. Yeah theres that little extra from p&p but it saves traveling from shop to shop to find what your looking for. I always have everything delivered to work so no hassle with missed deliveries and rescheduling for when I'm home which is never in the week as I'm at work. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Mostly online for me too, unless I need something right there and then, but then that would only be like some special lead or cable etc for my latest hair-brained scheme ...:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

always online me too...like Phoenix says delivery is no biggy at all...it all depends on what you buy, how much it weighs and when you want it delivered, Ebuyer for example do all sorts of delivery. just choose which date you want it delivered and thats it. the Priority Express option is the more expensive but again same as Phoenix all depends on what you buy and how much it weighs. I have been to PC stores and yes its true most of them dont stock what you want and they also dont have a clue and to top it all off, they will try and sell you something you were not wanting...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life