Business ADSL from Eclipse

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by BB88, Feb 16, 2012.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hi,
    One of the sites I administer uses Eclipse as their ISP. Due to the location from the exchange, the maximum downstream they can get is around 2MBps, it can be extremely intermittent at times, and often displays a BT Wholesale Page BT Home - your gateway into BT

Is there something else we can get in place which would be more reliable? SDSL? Leased Line?

I have tried the usual things:

• Reset back to Factory
    • New Router
    • New Filter
    • New Cables

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wait until they (BT) upgrades the exchange or see if they (the site) is in a Virgin area.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

A leased line would be great in terms of reliability but with a price to match but it really depends on how critical the service is and the associated cost of the outages.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I have not had any experience with it but satalite broadband might be an option possibly?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I looked into Satellite broadband a couple of years for a remote site. The things to check are; what the upload speed is(is it sufficient for your needs), and the fair usage policy on how much data you can transfer.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Notes_Bloke

Another option could be bonded DSL. I suppose it comes down to the amount you have to spend or not:D

NB

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I mentioned it because it only seemed to be the downrate that mattered in the OP, and also my In-laws live in the middle of nowhere and they can only get sub-1mb max from their broadband and they could get satBB with 4mb down for roughly the same price. Still if its the same as my sky telly as soon as there is a sniff of snow or storms I get the dreaded "there is a tech fault with this channel" and I have to hunt round for a coax cable :)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  8. Notes_Bloke

Yep. Same problem here, and the fact that there is never anything decent on to watch:D

NB

9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thats true, doesn't really matter though to me between my wife and my children I dont get to watch anything anyway, in fact I dont even know which way round to hold the sky remote anymore!!!

10. Notes_Bloke

LOL:D
    The missus is constantly playing the Xbox, so I end up watching her play a game instead of the TV.
    Since Christmas she has played Assassins Creed:Brotherhood, Skyrim and now she has just started Kingdoms of Amalur:rolleyes:

I suppose it's my own fault for buying them for her!

NB