BUMP - Cycling Land's End to John O Groats

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

... well I'm not actually bumping a thread, but it's a topic I've brought up before :)

Next year, I'm cycling from Land's End to John O Groats in 8 days for charity. The charity is the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance. They also cover Bedfordshire, the West Mids, Norfolk, and have even helped out in London.

I want to raise at least £3000 - at least £3 for every mile I cycle.

I'm posting here, because I need sponsorship money! I'm not asking for it immediately; no one has to pay until I've actually completed the cycle, which is in August of next year.

But I would like to start getting names down on my sponsor sheet, if possible.

I have set up a website about the ride and the charity: http://lejog2008.moonfruit.com so check it out if you're unsure about the charity or what's involved.

PM me or email me if you want any more info, or if you want to sponor me and need payment info.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

PM sent :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Arroryn

I said last time I would sponsor you and I haven't forgotten or change my mind. I have just clicked on the link provided to see if I can denote by paypal?? But for some reason I just get a black screen with headers and no content???:blink Do you need flash player or active x to access the website??

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I have no problem. It seems a java applet to me.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for checking mate, i will try again could be the works firewall blocking it?8)

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

OMG what's going????:blink

I just got this message:-

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

7. Arroryn

Blimey, I don't think my site is that popular! :blink

I'll go and check what the site is up to...

EDIT: I have had a 'shufty' and everything seems okay and normal - the site does need Flash player to view properly, so you might want to check your updates on that UCM?

EDIT EDIT: If you're still having problems, just PM me and I'll give you my Paypal details :tongue

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

oooh sounds like a good idea Arroryn...might PM u very soon :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

PM sent:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Arroryn

*shameless bump*

Thanks for everyone's support so far, with donations via PM and through the website. It is appreciated :D

Just to let people know I'm about a sixth of the way with fundraising (just breaking over £500 with the help of AJ, Raffaz and UCM) and have just updated the blog.

If you want to sponsor me but don't have any money right now (with it being just after Christmas and everything) remember that I don't actually need you to pay me until after I've done the cycling bit. And that's in August, so you've got plenty of time to save up!!

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I know this is a bit of an old thread! (UCM coughs as he blows off the dust:p) but are you still in training for this Arroryn?:blink

12. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

That would be a cool trip, hard work, but fun. Are loads of people doing it?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  13. Arroryn

No, it's just me. Eventually.

I am still in training UCM, but there's a few stories attached. I have, in short, postponed the cycle to early next year - around April time. Because I'm not really fit enough endurance-wise. I can cycle a fair 40 miles in 3 hours, and can maintain that... as long as I'm not going uphill. So that's what I'm working on... but here's the rafter of excuses...

I came off the bike around Christmas. Shook me up pretty bad, and I was in a fair bit of pain too. Ended up having a CT scan on my shoulder, and I now have a pretty cyst on my left shoulder which is a permanent lump of bone resulting from the impact of the fall. And a scar on my elbow. And some embarassment too. But I'm glad I was wearing a helmet, as I landed on my head first, then my shoulder...

So that delayed training a bit. Then there were some family problems which linked in with why I stepped down from my mod-ship which knocked things off kilter. And I was working 6 days a week for 2 months (well, 7 days some... went 18 days straight without a day off at one point, which was enormous fun obviously). So to say training fell by the wayside is a gross understatement.

However, the involuntary procrastination of this year has only made me more determined to do it. Rest assured, I'll be getting on the bike and getting severe saddle sore early 2009 (yeah too much info I know ^.^)

14. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Respect for not giving up. Training is always hard, but the achievement is worth the effort. I'm tempted to offer to join you, I could really do with some adventure in my life.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  15. Arroryn

If you're serious about that, then PM me to chat about it. Though synchronising the training could be an effort :)

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Good! I 'm glad your not giving up on the challenge :biggrin(despite the bad luck you have experienced in the past 12 months!).

I did send you a PM about it a while back (last month) but you never reply to it?:blink

It would be good if Nightwalker did join you, I think it's more fun with a team of you doing it and safer!:biggrin

"I came off the bike around Christmas. Shook me up pretty bad, and I was in a fair bit of pain too. Ended up having a CT scan on my shoulder, and I now have a pretty cyst on my left shoulder which is a permanent lump of bone resulting from the impact of the fall. And a scar on my elbow. And some embarassment too. But I'm glad I was wearing a helmet, as I landed on my head first, then my shoulder..."

Ouch that sounds painful!:ohmy

It's a good job you where wearing a helmet, because it could of been a lot worse. I have seen so many accidents one leading to death were I work, just beause people didn't have any protection on their head, maybe they think it's uncool or something?:rolleyes:

Well good luck!:thumbleft I agree with Nightwalker -Training is always hard, (then again aything worth while in life always is)

but the achievement is worth the effort! - He's right there! When I staggered out of the sea at the finish line of the swimathlon, it was such buzz. Everyone clapping and cheering! It was a good feeling and a even better one when you get a medal!:biggrin

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I agee:rocks

Rep left:thumbleft