Bulldog ADSL IP

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Clyde, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Hi folks

I'd rather not spend ages on hold to bulldog so does anyone know how long you can expect an IP address to last these days. My router keeps changing IP which means I get disconnected when away and can't reconnect.

This is a new phenomenon, and I'm leaning towards it being bulldog rather than my router

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Interesting, from what I know most ISP's usually give their leases a fairly long life. I know that I've had mine for quite some time now.

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I believe it is the standard 8-day lease, Clyde (from memory). I know what you're describing however - have you looked at using dynamic DNS at all ? Basically if your router is dynDNS capable, then you can sign up for a service from a place like www.dyndns.com.

It may not be as elegant a solution as you are looking for, but if your ISP wont give you a static (which mine won't) then it is a useful workaround.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

hi jakamoko

it's been fine for ages, just started today... and I'd rather not pay for dDNS if I can avoid it...

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

It's free at the link above, Clyde - try it out :)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

bulldog give a static but its 5 quid a month
    gits

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

cheers for the ddns link jakamoko... didn't think it was free...

phoenix - I don't need static.. I just need the damn ip not to change after 20 minutes into a terminal session!

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Yeah - it's sweet if you can put up with the slightly ropey extension onto your existing (or chosen) domain.

9. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i've got bulldog and yes my router's ip changes like every day.
    however it doesn't cause me any problems.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

thats interesting to note.. so it's not just me. It causes me problems because my inbound terminal services sessions die a death on me.. and I can't reconnect as I don't know the IP.. As I said this is a new development, and if it continues, I'll have to change ISP

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

The IP will in most likelihood be different every time you dis/reconnect simply by the nature of dynamic IPs. That was my bugbear about not being able to get a static on a residential ADSL line. The above fix really does work a treat for me through Clyde - a sneaky little bit of port-forwarding later, and you're sorted :)

12. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

the ip is practically guaranteed to be different each time. I'll have a look at the dynamic dns idea.. see if it works for me. cheers

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

some routers have the facility to sync up with someone like dns.org to save having any other utility to let any people you want to know your IP has changed. Is this what you mean Gav?

the other thing, if your ISP has a pool of addresses that are given out to everybody they could be barred by some sites for whatever reason....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You don't need an ADSL modem/router that supports DDNS, although if it does that is better. If not you just need to install a client side app that reports back to the DDNS provider when the external IP addy changes on the modem/router.

ods.org also a low cost solution ods.org clickable link

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

for the record...
    I set up an account with dyndns.org and configured it and my router accordingly. I still get disconnected if idle, but thats due to the router dropping an unused connection. Setting Opera to reload the bbc home page every 2 minutes solved that problem for me !

So job done, even if I had to cheat! and cheers to everyone who helped..

I still think Bulldog ought to be less trigger happy with their lease period, and my router needs an option to keep the connection open, cos if the connection is closed, there's no way to get in from the outside...

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

That deff sounds like a router issue rather than a dynDNS issue, Clyde. Shame, as it is beautiful when it works as it should (if clumsy, as mentioned previously).

17. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Well, either bulldog or the router (netgear) drops the line if its idle for too long. That said, whilst a terminal session was running it disconnected also so its up for debate who's responsible. As I said though the solution is ddns and reloading a web page every few minutes.. lotech but works!