built new pc but one problem driving me mad

Discussion in 'Software' started by rockstar6181, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

hi,

all the parts for a new pc arrived the over day and i put it altogether with out to many problems. Its all up and runninh however the wireless side of things is driving me nuts.

I am running vista 64 and at first was using a belkin G PCI card which had a leaflet in the box saying not vista compabile so i downloaded some updated drivers off the net and all was good. I connected to my old dlink router with wpa psk and got all the updates for vista as well as browsing the net. Suddenly it disconnected and when i tried to reconnect it would come up with "timed out" - if i put a wrong wpa key in on purpose it would tell me its wrong so i know it was talking to the router.

I took all the secruity off the router and rescanned and it connected however was getting a 169 local address (no idea why)

I decided to cut my losses and went down to pc world and picked up a new dlink router nad dongle(i wanted a new one for a while now as the other one was bought in 2005 and was quite dated).

Anyhow this new one says its vista compabile so i set it all up did a scan (still using the belkin card) and again local address. Decieded to remove the belkin card and install the usb dlkin dongle - when plugged in it says found new hardware however when installing it through the dlink program it says it cant find it. I tested the adapter on a xp machine and it works fine. even pointing the device in DM to the cd or folder of the drivers doesnt work. any ideas anyone its defying logic

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Think that may be the issue mate 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think so too. Also just to add make sure you're installing drivers in admin mode. In the past in the past I kept on forget to do a run as and ended going in circles trying to figure out why it's not installing.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're not getting a DHCP address, just assign a static address, and make your router stop assigning addresses. Provided your drivers work... problem solved.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

That's probably the issue though, isn't it? You need signed drivers every time for Vista 64 don't you?