Built-in Windows tools vs. third-party alternatives: faceoff

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dix, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Dix

Dix Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm just starting MCSE2003, Cisco and MCDBA (SQL.. ugh) certs, and have been wondering about all these tools included in Windows. I've already learnt MsBackup is not all that could be desired, but haven't found a good replacement, which got me wondering:

What bundled tools are actually useful in the real world, and which ones are better replaced by a third-party utility. (ie, the bundled MS one is 'lacking' :) )

If you suggest a third-party tool, please name it and the item/function it supersedes/augments in windows - could be a useful thread (i hope 8)). Thankyou!

(edit: apologies if this is too similar to a certain sticky! )

Certifications: MCSE win2k
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Actually, I've found quite a few of the command line tools that come bundled with Win2K and Server 2003 to be very useful. The Win2K Server resource kit tools are very good too. It would be pretty difficult to administer and troubleshoot AD without them. You'll most likely be tested on the most useful of them along the way to your MCSE. I was.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

most are useful actually
    infact there are a ton more even more useful ones on the ms site and in resource kits (why oh why they dont just put em on the cd annoys me to hell)
    expect me to write up a section on some of the more obscure ones that i find at some point :)

msbackups based on a cut down version of Backup Exec from Veritas, try that one, its pretty good, for the big boys go for NetBackup Server (more datacenter orientated than backupexec)

both from veritas

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Dix

Dix Bit Poster

I think i may have been too harsh to windows :oops: - having grown up on a spectrum 48k and running a school network of 3.11 machines, I greatly enjoy a lot of the modern features.

There are areas though where a thirdy-party tool can be very useful, eg, TCPview from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html
    which is acts as better netstat. not that netstat is all bad, just that this is better.. (but i am still allowed to loath ie! :))

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. That's pretty funny. Love that dry humor.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Dix

Dix Bit Poster

ta muchly - it's nice to lauded 8) (it comes from classic lit like Terry Pratchett and Your Sinclair)