BT Traffic shaping for home ADSL users

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Zainek, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that there is blatant throttling taking place on the BT network stopping torrents etc ?, when i first had my line I was downloading a free linux distro and getting 400kb (from the piratebay) minimum, lots of availability etc, now the same one with higher availability and seeders gets me 25kb a sec.

I have tried encryption methods within the client and randomizing the ports, via VPN etc and nothing changes

i have an ADSL 8mb connection. Not sure of contenion ratio in neighbourhood etc, sure it's 50:1. What makes me suspicious is that even at 3am, 2pm , 9pm, 11am, all times infact - i get a crap download rate.

I'm on the unlimted everything type of plan. I'm annoyed because why are they in effect telling me what content i can have and what services i can have as well as what sites i can stream from and what i cant stream from. There is nothing in any of their print that tells me that i can't use the piratebay et all, streaming from certain websites - etc, are we powerless ?

Also BT's DNS servers are sh**, tired open DNS, router restarted etc, replaced home hub with higher end netgear and draytek device same issues with DNS, Torrents, etc.

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I'm on BT and don't suffer this. My speeds are generally slower in the evenings, but i'll set any torrent up to download overnight and see it shoot up to 600/700kbps depending on the torrent.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Dont think I've ever had a DNS issue with BT but yes I've never bothered with torrents (an option on alot of linux download pages) because the speed is hideous (like going back to dial up again). then again I've got nothing to complain about as I've always got a good service from them otherwise over the years and living out in the sticks I'm quite happy with our 6Mb down and am loathed to risk moving to someone cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

If BT are going to throttle you it will be between 6PM and midnight, its far more likely to be your line profile or throughput thats causing the slow speeds

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I have BT I sure it throttles between 5pm and midnight in my area.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  6. Raffaz

Im just quoting what the FUP team told me when i was at work (BT) :D

7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

BT are terrible. /thread

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  8. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

I called them up a few days ago and spoke to them to complain about connections being lost
    every so often, more than a few times a day. As far as throttling is concerned i mentioned that to them and no one has called me back as yet. Even though they said 15 mins, it's been 3 days now. Woo SLA's in the house

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If you are bothered by traffic shaping / management then try a differen ISP like PlusNet.

They have a very transparent policy when it comes to trafic shaping and show you exactly what is and isn't shaped at different times during the day. Also depening on the plan you pick you can have different traffic prioritised. I have been on a gaming package for a while that has no shaping at all for the peak times and gaming traffic is optimised etc...

At least you know what you are getting ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Raffaz

11. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I'm with ADSL24 and they've been fantastic.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

doesn't everyone notice a difference when the kids finish school and start loggin onto facebook and stuff like that. If they are on the same pipe as you its gonna be affected.

Usually if I am downloading stuff I wait until early on in the morning when all the Americans are in bed :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Silly Englishman! We Americans don't go to bed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. greenbrucelee

lol. Well its a better about 9-10am UK time which is probably about 3am your time when I download from US servers.

15. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL...that reminded me of a nugget of info I was once told during the early days of the Internet back in the mid to late 90s: "the Internet grinds to a daily halt when America wakes up and then picks up speed when they go to bed"...LOL! I always had this picture in my head of millions of Americans waking up and thrashing the sh1t out of their dial up modems followed by some poor guy in the UK saying "ahh sh1t the yanks have woken up!" whilst watching his Napster mp3 download go from 4KBs to 1KBs per second! :p

The 21st century version is now "the Internet slows down when the UK's kids come home from school!".

:D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  16. greenbrucelee

lol but I think there is some truth in that because a lot of Americans go to church on a Sunday you seem to get really good download speeds untill about 6pm UK time and most of our school kids are in bed because they got pissed the night before.:D