BT suffers huge broadband failure across much of UK

Discussion in 'News' started by GiddyG, Oct 3, 2011.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

BT suffers huge broadband failure across much of UK

A "power failure" at a major exchange in Birmingham has seen huge numbers of BT Broadband customers across the UK cut off.

The company said those affected numbered into the hundreds of thousands - about 5% of its total customers.

Business users were particularly badly affected, with many reporting considerable lost revenue as a result.

BT said the service has now been fully restored, advising customers to "turn their hub or modem off and on again".

Full Story here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. csx
      csx
      BT fail! :)

Was quite interesting earlier watching this trend on Twitter, amazing how one exchange can cause so much trouble, routing?
      Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    2. cisco lab rat
      cisco lab rat
      "Many businesses contacted the BBC to vent their frustration at the service, suggesting today's problems have had a serious impact on sales"

A piece from the article, being a BT business customer I have learnt one thing and that is: Don't waste your time phoning to complain to anyone about BT, even now I am wasting my time complaining about their service here, it's like ****ing in the wind.
    3. danielno8
      danielno8
      We were affected by this in our Aberdeen office, but it was just the internet connection we use to provide guest's in the office wireless internet access. Seemed to me to just be unable to authenticate.

Those whinging about loss of business should have a separate line in from a different provider if it's that valuable to them they do not experience downtime. Ours was only down a few hours.
    4. soundian
      soundian
      Our remote workers were down for a good few hours. It's not really practical to have all those home workers fitted up with a separate line just in case.
    5. danielno8
      danielno8
      Of course, but it isn't practical to expect 100% uptime on an ADSL connection.
    6. Boffy
      Boffy
      Our Edinbough office got affected. BTs phoneline was aweful to try and contact any engineers - it was over an hour before the news picked up on the problem so we were stuck in the dark.

Luckily, we have a spare line for which we swapped over to.
    7. derkit
      derkit
      Doesn't Raffa work for BT - I'm surprised he didn't sort the problem out in 10 mins flat 8)
    8. AJ
      AJ
      He does but different dept.
    9. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      Sure thats not what you wrote AJ, but thats what I read! :oops:

Sorry Raf! :biggrin