Problem BT Infinity System help please

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by steve_p1981, May 19, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I have a mate at work and he has just had the BT infinty package installed by a BT technician. He had this done on monday and the technician tested it on his own pc via the wireless function before plugging in my mates pc and leaving (with out testing that it worked ok on the pc).

My mate has not been able to connect since installation and BT are being useless to help him. Saying that it's a problem with his pc as it worked ok on their laptop.

So far i got him to check the BT program isn't blocked by either windows or his 3rd party firewall (he doesn't know the brand and i've not seen his pc), got him to do ipconfig and ping his rouer. apparently it came back with 0% loss so i can assume his pc is talking to the router / hub they've installed. all the lights are on on the router as they should be with the data light flashing fast like it's recieving data. he's un installed the BT program and re installed it and rebooted the hardware many times.

I'm a bit stuck on what to suggest now. has any one else had this problem?

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If he pings a website "www.google.com" does it resolve the name?
    If not, see if he can ping the IP address of a website, try 8.8.4.4

If the ping to IP address works it's likely a DNS issue.

If neither work then you'll need to check the router, but i've no idea what they do for the infinity service.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Not sure how the BT Fibre optic service works.

If that was me and it was a new install, i'd be on the phone to BT ripping **** outta them til they come back round and get it set up properly.

What sort of technician sets his own laptop up and says "Look, it's working" before pissing off, i'd go mental if that was me

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Not to be pesimistic but he may have even just had a 3g dongle plugged into his laptop and shown him the google page or something cause he wanted a poets day.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

has he tried to connect via ethernet cable? Helpdesk should ask him to do that anyway, but you never know. Not trying to defend them, it's not like I work for the same company:)
    recently my friends got Sky installed, went there, connected one laptop fine (wifi), no problem. next day her flatmates told me it doesn't work on their laptops. and it didn't, wifi was connecting to the ssid but unable to send/receive anything. after I plugged them by cable (all good) wifi was fine. don't ask me why...
    might be completely unrelated but worth a try...

edit: just read that he can ping the router, so should be able to log in to it and run diagnostics?

6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

good call with router diagnostics. He's connecting his pc with cables as i told him it's more secure and easier as he isn't very pc literate.
    turns out the 3rd party anti virus / firewall is norton and it won't let him select uninstall via the control panel. i've told him to look into the main directory in the program files folder and use the uninstall program in there. I heard that when norton runs out of licence, it blocks you from the internet so this might be causing it (he neglected to tell me that his subscription expired).
    if the norton thing don't help, i'll go round and use the router diagnostics and hopefully sort it out for him.

7. danielno8

I don't use Norton, but i would be astounded if this were true.

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Better get astounded then

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. danielno8

WTF? Thsi must be a bug then? Certainly so if it doesn't inform the user WHY their internet is not working!

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've see it a few times with different earlier versions of NIS but don't really follow what they are doing now to confirm if it plays nice when it expirers with the latest versions.

Sometimes it wasn't even enough just uninstalling it from via CP and you had to use a "special" removal tool

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No it doesn't.. this post.. from your link confirms this... :rolleyes:

(emphasis added by me)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Search around Bluerinse you'll find many cases when it does :) and having seen it with my own eyes a couple of times

and the second last post of that one was the intresting one not what the engineer said

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay, well for decades i have bloody-well hated Norton, so i have done as much defending as i can muster tonight *swears and kicks things left right and :lolbang centre

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

LOL soz Bluerinse, I can only pass on the experience I have had with the product (granted I haven't used Norton in a long long time).

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  15. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I agree, i hate norton too, ended up doing a factory reset to get the thing working again. guess what though, he went ou and bought norton protection for a year instead of using AVG or comodo's free internet protection. can't help some people lol

16. Spidey76

Spidey76 Bit Poster

Norton is terrible, resource hog, doesn't even trap all malware. I use Kaspersky which works really well. If your mate is running Vista or Win7 just the Micrsoft Security Essentials/AVG etc will be good enough. I upgraded to BT Infinity and it works a treat! I used to get 1.5mb on ADSL and now on 36mb! My only gripe is that in the evenings it sometimes goes as low as 20mb.

Did your mate sort out his problem in the end?

17. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

didn't find the cause but i think it was norton related. don't know why he got it again after we done a reset to factory condition. that sorted the fault. cheers for the assistance guys.