BT HUB ISSUE

Discussion in 'Networks' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 19, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A friend of my mums called me to their house last night to see why they couldn't get on the internet.

They have a BT Hub and were connecting wireless from their laptop (gateway jobby with Vista basic).

I took BMs book along with me incase I needed some reference, which it came in handy.

First of all I switched the hub off and reset it and had no luck.

Second I tried pinging a website which I could, and everything checked out ok.

I then tried doing the winsock reset command (can't remember the full command at the moment).:oops:

The people who's hub it was told me that it has been like that since two weeks ago when they came home and there had been a street wide power cut. Apparently their son was on the laptop at the time. So I thought maybe with the sudden loss of power the hub has been damaged (is this possible?).

IE was able to find websites, but the websites couldn't see the computer.

I ended up phoning the BT helpline and the poor guy was trying everything although I had already tried most of it.

He wouldn't have the possibility of the HUB being knackered but he sounded like a bit of an rtard as it was. He tried to make out the network card in the laptop was at fault but I had already verified it was working in device manager.

Anybody got any ideas? and can anyone remind me what the winsock command was? does anyone have any experience with BT Hubs?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is it a hub...

...or a router? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

its a thomson router BM(and a very poor one at that)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I had a call from a customer that had the same problem after a powercut with his home hub, I have suggested buying a decent router. To fix the problem I had to remove all the wireless settings in the hub and then reboot it. After that configure the wireless from scratch (with a new network name) and then the laptop should be able to connect.

Also a business customer had a higher spec BT hub and again I had bizarre problems with it. Basically I could resolve DNS, ping external websites but couldn’t browse the internet. I had to replace the hub with a new Netgear one.

Do you get the option of upgrading the firmware on the router? I didn’t get the option on the ones I was working on.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Sparky

Its a BT "home hub", not the best piece of kit! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. greenbrucelee

Its called BT Home HUb but its just a router :blink:biggrin

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

The fact the laptop pings a website shows the laptop is fine in my opinion.

I'm a bit lost where the problem is with this? (Unless I'm blind!) You can ping a website, IE can find the website, I'm assuming IE can't display the website ?? - but "the websites couldn't see the computer" I'm not sure on this one?

Do other things work OE? Download POP3/IMAP e-mails? Play games online? etc.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. greenbrucelee

Sounds like this may be the only option.

This was similar, if I put in a DNS address instead of it obtaining the address automatically it sort of worked, it was finding the website very quickly but couldn't display the site as it was not connecting to the internet.

Do you think I was correct in assuming the hub was knackered and crap?

nah I think they don't do it unless you are on the most expensive price option, and these people wont be.

The guy from BT suggested I try another Browser if possible, which it wasnt but I think he was clutching at straws by then.

9. greenbrucelee

cant get online at all, they do not have email account so I couldn't try that.

10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

OK then - was there a response from ping www.google.com for example? Or perhaps ping 66.249.93.99??
    If not, try pinging itself. IPCONFIG to get the default gateway (the wireless router) and ping that, that'll help tell you were the failure is.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, could not ping google, but could get outside my house - ended up reseting the router and it found the DNS server again. But I had to go through the above process to prove to myself it was that at fault.

I agree with Sparks though - the hubs from BT are as useless as broken tea trolley at a vicars garden party!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. Sparky

On the latop try to telnet into google on port 80 (at the command line type.. telnet www.google.co.uk 80) and if it come back blank then you can get outbound traffic on port 80, if you get a connection failed then the router might be on the way out. Try to telnet by IP address as well just to confirm this.

12. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like the thing is dead. Price them up a new router, you can get a Netgear for about £25 these days.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  13. Sparky

LOL! :biggrin

GBL, the hub didnt have the "Hub phone" as well did it?

14. greenbrucelee

That guy from BT didn't mention that, I will try that I am going back on Saturday after I finish work.

I was also thinking of deleting all of the BT sofware and reinstalling, just in case the Kid had messed around with stuff I didn't notice last night.

Also when I looked at the signal from the PC it was totally filled up but the signal from the router was on 1 bar and never got any better even when I was stood next to the hub.

15. greenbrucelee

is it a big plastic thing?

16. greenbrucelee

may be an idea :D £25 + Fitting costs + time = 2 full tanks of petrol for my new beemer :D and some beer :)

17. Sparky

Errrr, its a phone :blink

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

18. greenbrucelee

I think her hub was just a big jobby and the phone that was plugged into it was her own phone.

19. Sparky

Cool, if it isnt the all in one "jobby" (new technical term!), then you should be ok just to replace with a new ADSL router.

This is the one with the phone.
    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h1085.htm

20. greenbrucelee

nah it wasn't that one, this was cheap black plastic effort that looked really cheap and crap.

Anyway what is that winsock reset command I can't remember?